CFL grow lights penetration range in relation to defoliating and forming canopy

wayup1

May 26, 2021
Hey,
new to this forum but not to growing in general.
So I've decided to start a CFL grow in my selfmade 1.5x1.5x4 growbox next month and after extensive research I have one question in mind:

HOW far from the bulb i do have to defoliate to avoid popcorn buds?
or in other words:
How far does a CFL light give enough light to my plant to fattening up buds?

I know about the 4 - 6 inch from canopy but thats not answering my question above.

anyone here having experience growing with CFL lights?

Colamaker

Oct 8, 2020
Using cfl isn't the best light for penetration. All depends on how much wattage the cfl is to how close you can put it. If it's a weak wattage the closer you can go. My t5 cfl would burn the plant if 4 to 6 inches from canopy. I recommend getting a tester. They sell multi tester for light, soil moisture and soil ph. Getting popcorn buds is usually on bottom of plant and buds gets bigger as goes up the plant to where the light penetration is better. Defoliating can help get better light to bottom of plants bud spots. but if the cfl is not strong enough Defoliating won't matter if the light par won't penetrate to the bottom. Also your box size is pretty small. Especially the 4' height. Keep in mind the light hanging will take up some of that 4' height and you better top the crap out of that plant to keep short. Once in flowering the plant can more than double in size and when it gets to tall for your box your going to be pretty pissed that you can't raise your light. I would seriously rethink the box size. I would also recommend full spectrum led instead of cfl. Much better lighting and bigger buds. You also should be thinking about heat inside box that small and where you will have room for a fan to circulate the air inside the box. My 1 tent is 5' high and even with topping I can struggle with light height once plant starts maturing and heat can be a struggle if don't have an exhaust. 1.5x1.5x4 is extremely small unless your doing a micro grow. I would make box minimum 2x2x5. Just some advice.

wayup1

May 26, 2021
thanks for your advice but i would rather keep it small for various reasons :)
yeah i was trying to find some diaries with CFL lights but LED became so mainstream and suuch that its hard to find a direct example

wayup1

May 26, 2021
i've read that smaller wattage cfl's are the more efficient ones when it comes to lumen per wattage actually. especially considering the fact that you can basicly hang them all around the plant to cover the most area possible
thanks anyway im sure ill get something going rly soon.
maybe ill share some pics on here with you guys :)

hawkman

May 12, 2020
Hey,
new to this forum but not to growing in general.
So I've decided to start a CFL grow in my selfmade 1.5x1.5x4 growbox next month and after extensive research I have one question in mind:

HOW far from the bulb i do have to defoliate to avoid popcorn buds?
or in other words:
How far does a CFL light give enough light to my plant to fattening up buds?

I know about the 4 - 6 inch from canopy but thats not answering my question above.

anyone here having experience growing with CFL lights?
MANY MANY YEARS AGO - you can get 500watt self ballast (veg or flower) or a standard 500watt (veg and flower) at "1,000 Bulbs.com Here is howyou do it use 500watt for main bulb Then get 4 -33 watt cfl bulbs (veg and Bloom) to be use as side lighting placing one at each cornoe of plant and about 3 inches from plant the 500 watt can run 12 + from top of plant __have to get like a 55-6500 lumesn for veg and 24-2700 lumens for flower --- Got excellant yields better than some LED"s (300 waters) if y0u need help inordering let me know. what size is you cfl ? wattage? that will depend on inches from