Continued discoloration

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
So some of her mid level and bottom leaves are looking rough, which is disheartening because the other day I plucked the 3 worst looking ones and these didn't seem to be too bad off at the time. All except the first one have been damaged slightly due to tucking, or don't get much light as they are in the shade. My soil dryness is at 6.0 out of 10, and I've noticed as she dries, the Ph goes up. It's steadily climbed over the past week, now sitting at about 7.1
Am I doing something wrong? My gf is convinced it's natural, she used to grow an all organic garden, and she says that any organic grow will have ugly/unhealthy spots from time to time.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Hey @FerretWrangler yes somethings definitely gone awry my friend :)
It looks like it's almost certainly a ph problem, try recalibrating your pen and testing the run off when you next water :idea:
Not my words (cut and pasted) but this sounds like your issue...
If the ph remains high for more than 48 hrs it will start yellowing the plants and make them look like death( note if the ph is around 7.5 the yellowing will take much longer and the dark green leaves and drooping will be the main symptoms) When the ph is above 8 it locks out many macro and micro nutes at the same time which causes the yellowing, brown dead spots, rust color spots, purple leaves and stems and many more symptoms. It becomes very hard to tell what is wrong because your plant will show 3 maybe even 4 deficiencies at the same time. It can be confused with cold temps, and over fertilizing when the real problem is ph.
I can remember experimenting with all organic hydro and ph was swinging around like a kid on skittles, symptoms not dissimilar to yours.
The plant is displaying deficiencies because the nutrients/elements are being locked out by the ph ;)

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Let her dry over next few days, then water with ph @6.5 until run off and then report back with the ph of the run off, this will give us a useful insight into what's going on :)

8267d3b96d69de8d331375bc4a14bc56--house-projects-garden-projects.jpg

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Awesome, will do! It seemed to be Ph related, I just didn't know what steps to take. So I test the earliest run off, and that should tell us whats up, do I keep adding water until the runoff eventually reads 6.5?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Firstly let's find out what the run off is testing at so we know which was things are swinging :)
For example if the ph in @6.5 gave us a ph out @7.5 then we know that the ph is way too high and we need to compensate by rinsing it through with ph of around 5.5 to get us into the mid 6's ;)
The same logic applies the other way, so if ph in @6.5 gave us ph out @5.5 then we have the opposite problem and would remedy it by rinsing through with water ph'd to around 7.5 to get us into the mid 6's :)

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Firstly let's find out what the run off is testing at so we know which was things are swinging :)
For example if the ph in @6.5 gave us a ph out @7.5 then we know that the ph is way too high and we need to compensate by rinsing it through with ph of around 5.5 to get us into the mid 6's ;)
The same logic applies the other way, so if ph in @6.5 gave us ph out @5.5 then we have the opposite problem and would remedy it by rinsing through with water ph'd to around 7.5 to get us into the mid 6's :)
Gotcha. I wish she would dry out already!

Back