First Time, outdoor grow using small pots

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
Hey guys, I am rarely new to growing, I just really need some advice... thx!

One question is my soil says ph lvl is from 6.0 to 8.0, what happens if my ph lvl is too high?.
Also my seeds took quite a bit to germinate I have 4 seeds tht, after 5 days they cracked and I can see the root, it was not a long root it u can just see it from the seed, I had an extra seed, I mixed water with a lil bit of hydrogen peroxide and it popped right away after one day she’s got a pretty long root, I planted to not too deep I was careful, my question is I what condition should I keep my newly planted seeds???

Thx guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 219

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
Hey guys, I am rarely new to growing, I just really need some advice... thx!

One question is my soil says ph lvl is from 6.0 to 8.0, what happens if my ph lvl is too high?.
Also my seeds took quite a bit to germinate I have 4 seeds tht, after 5 days they cracked and I can see the root, it was not a long root it u can just see it from the seed, I had an extra seed, I mixed water with a lil bit of hydrogen peroxide and it popped right away after one day she’s got a pretty long root, I planted to not too deep I was careful, my question is I what condition should I keep my newly planted seeds???

Thx guys

I will be moving them a few to a bigger pot and I will keep a few in my 8 inch pots, I wan to see what the difference is.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Welcome to FC @Stef420! The ph is very important as outside of ideal ph range certain nutrients will become unavailable to the plant, despite being present in the soil causing deficiencies, referred to as "ph lock out" ?
Here's a handy chart that demonstrates the correct ph range for soil (see right side)
Nutrient_Chart2.gif

Temperature is key with germination and bringing on seedlings ? you want them around 25c give or take 2c. Two things you want to avoid, over watering them and extremes of temperature ie too hot or too cold. If the medium is too damp the plants will damp off.?
You need to make a good soil mix, this is critical to your success. At the moment your medium looks too dense, at a minimum you need to add perlite and vermiculite if you'd like a basic super soil recipe let me know or check out the grow faq.
For the easiest path to delicious flowers I'd always recommend growing organically in super soil, then you can forget about ph management, measuring nutrients etc and just add water to the end.
Hope that helps, any questions post up and let us know how you get on. Good luck ?

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
Welcome to FC @Stef420! The ph is very important as outside of ideal ph range certain nutrients will become unavailable to the plant, despite being present in the soil causing deficiencies, referred to as "ph lock out" ?
Here's a handy chart that demonstrates the correct ph range for soil (see right side)
Nutrient_Chart2.gif

Temperature is key with germination and bringing on seedlings ? you want them around 25c give or take 2c. Two things you want to avoid, over watering them and extremes of temperature ie too hot or too cold. If the medium is too damp the plants will damp off.?
You need to make a good soil mix, this is critical to your success. At the moment your medium looks too dense, at a minimum you need to add perlite and vermiculite if you'd like a basic super soil recipe let me know or check out the grow faq.
For the easiest path to delicious flowers I'd always recommend growing organically in super soil, then you can forget about ph management, measuring nutrients etc and just add water to the end.
Hope that helps, any questions post up and let us know how you get on. Good luck ?
Thanks! Man
I aprreciate it, and yes how can I make a simple super soil mix?

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
Thanks! Man
I’m currently in Italy, I don’t have access to much stuff...
I heard peat moss 40% regular soil 40% and sheep shit lol 20% is a good basic mix but I don’t have access to peat mos unless I buy it online and that would take a while ?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Thanks! Man
No trouble at all :)
I’m currently in Italy, I don’t have access to much stuff...
Shop at normal garden centres they'll have everything you need to succeed ?

A simple supersoil mix would look like this:
  • Organic compost 60% (miracle grow do some decent organic composts now which are widely available and come preloaded with some goodies)
  • Perlite 25% - drainage and soil structure
  • Vermiculite 15% - water retention and structure
  • Dolomite lime (2-3 table spoons for every 20 liters) - ph buffering, stops ph dropping too low
  • Fishblood and bone meal (8-10 table spoons per 20 liters) - food for your plants
Bonus additions would be kelp meal (dried seaweed fertiliser) and mycorrhizae (beneficial/symbiotic fungae). These are worth hunting down and should be available at almost every good garden centre. You can go further and add all sorts of further amendments but the above will give you excellent results that you can build on going forwards.

The beauty of making a good super soil mix is that you can sit back and just add water through the entire grow to harvest. It's definitely worth the hassle of getting the right ingredients together ?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Sounds good I know I can find the first three around here, Nd some fish blood bone meals, the problem now is that I already planted my seedlings
How would I transfer them, should I hope the pop out and transfer them to new soil when they are big enough, if they make it lol
Exactly, in the mean time be very sparing with your watering if your medium becomes too moist the seedlings will die, less is more. Wait until they are up then prick them out and transfer to the new mix ? Good luck ?

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
Hey bro

So I got a different soil cuz my cheap soil I bought without thinking is way too hard after it drys a little I had a feeling the seedling was never gone be able to pop out, so I unburied the seed carefully and I saw it had already opened!
But the seed shell was still on
It was yellow ?...
the weirdest thing doe! Is I did not see a root and I was really careful to un burry it, I got a spoon and scooped out the seed from underneath and poor some water on the soil till I saw the seed, i wish I had a picture but I already buried it without thinking of asking u guys, in new softer soil and made sure it was getting enough oxygen, but again never saw a root only the flower and it was yellow but not dry I think it is still alive,
I

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
Also I unburied the other seeds and their roots look healthy, they are nice and white, they grew a little longer too, they are just growing really really slow I think with this new soil they will be better ? and making sure I don’t drown them in water

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
Yup hopefully I might just buy some sensi seeds and start over againg indoors, I got these seeds off, cbd cannabis shake, so it prolly is not the best... they did germinate doe.

I’m looking for a cheap grow light
What are some decent cheap grow lights?
I was looking at cfl 250w flourecesnt,
The 300 w version is 8 more bucks,
Or is their anything out their better or the same for around the same price range as 30-50 bucks

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
I'd be thinking along these lines ?

For $35 you're getting 6 * 1550 lumens (9300lumens). You've also got the space to whack another bulb in there when you see a cheap one at the store upping your lumens further.
CFLs run too hot and are also less efficient (lumen per watt output) than led light bulbs ;)

Last edited:

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
It's a good start and you can add more as you go like you said ?

Thank you so much man! I did find a 6 pack 15watt=100watt
1527 lumens

But

When my newborn comes out how should I treat it, I plan on giving them natural sunlight till my lights arrive 3-4 days, should Should I give them moderate light, can I keep them by the window inside by the sunlight?, I could keep them outside but my porch only has like 3-4 hours of sunlight, and stand their in the sun for 5 min and it litterly burns u it’s so hot, idk... how should I treat my newborn plant ,
Thanks again!

Stef420!

Aug 17, 2018
I’m hopping on sharing my progress,white widow sensi plants, when they pop out and keep you updated,

Also I saw another post, indoor closet grow it looked like the plant was growing alll over the place! Looked a little like vines growing everywhere, why does that happen lol???
I sure don’t want my plant to grow like tht

I’m new so idk if that’s Normal

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
how should I treat my newborn plant ,
Thanks again!
I'd pop her on the windowsill, she'll be fine for a few days if a little stretched ?
Try to avoid her going over 30c as this will be stressful/could be fatal for a tiny seedling, other than that I'm sure you'll be good ?
I’m hopping on sharing my progress,white widow sensi plants, when they pop out and keep you updated,

Also I saw another post, indoor closet grow it looked like the plant was growing alll over the place! Looked a little like vines growing everywhere, why does that happen lol???
I sure don’t want my plant to grow like tht

I’m new so idk if that’s Normal
I think I know the grow you're referring to and it was a lack of light/low intensity lighting during much of the plants life which caused the viny appearance ;)

Last edited:

Back