FoxFarms Ocean Forest and watering ,runoff or Untill damp?

BrotherRandall

Aug 22, 2021
Will watering Ocean Forest soil untill runoff deplete nutrients, or Should i water untill damp (only)?
Ocean Forest is pre-ammended with nutrients and fertilizers and comes hot used as is. If you water with runoff from fresh bagged soil, then yes you will be flushing out excess nutrients from your soil. If you are trying to save money on nutrients, then yes; you should only water until your growing medium is moist. You will definitely need some sort of flowering booster, nutrients, or fertilizer in the later developmental stages of your flowers if you want optimum quality and to maximize your harvest yield.

Ras Mountain

Jul 9, 2020
Don't over-water, but also make sure there aren't any dry spots along the sides + bottom of the pot.

If you have a PPM meter, check the concentration of the runoff. Continue watering until it's flushed down to the number you are feeding (e.g. If I want to give my plants 400 ppm of nutrients during veg, and the runoff is 950 ppm, then I know to continue the flush until I get 400 ppm in the runoff).

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
i myself water every 7 days until it drains with new nutrients and have never had a problem but i use a different than soil Ocean Forestthan i use super Miracle-gro

MuzzicHead

May 27, 2021
i myself water every 7 days until it drains with new nutrients and have never had a problem but i use a different than soil Ocean Forestthan i use super Miracle-gro
Whats up Alphatoy,

Miracle grow( Natures Care )with perlite and lime works fine, i still have a few gallons of it(I start my plants in it after a potup from party cups) . This will be my first time running with Ocean Forest for a grow (seeing what the hypes all about).

Colamaker

Oct 8, 2020
Ocean forest will feed 60 plus days with regular watering. You want soil moist not run off. Don't add nutrients or you will be upset. If running a auto then should be able to go full run. If photo you'll have to add some light nutes after 60 days or into flowering.

Ras Mountain

Jul 9, 2020
One effective strategy is to place the pots in a tray or saucer and then water from below. The soil will soak up what it needs just like a sponge in about two minutes - after which they are lifted up and drained of any excess. You can then gauge how much each plant is soaking and perhaps be able to avoid flushing and draining so often.

It really does eliminate waste.

MuzzicHead

May 27, 2021
Ocean forest will feed 60 plus days with regular watering. You want soil moist not run off. Don't add nutrients or you will be upset. If running a auto then should be able to go full run. If photo you'll have to add some light nutes after 60 days or into flowering.
I'm learning how to handle Ocean forest soil . Got the claw soon as i transplanted into the Ocean forest, i'm guessing the soil i transplanted from still had nuff nitrogen in it .

Attachment: showing the claw , i was going to remove the soil from the root ball and retransplant or i might have to do that if gets worse, but she looks good otherwise .

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_085305.jpg
    IMG_20211001_085305.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 25

MuzzicHead

May 27, 2021
One effective strategy is to place the pots in a tray or saucer and then water from below. The soil will soak up what it needs just like a sponge in about two minutes - after which they are lifted up and drained of any excess. You can then gauge how much each plant is soaking and perhaps be able to avoid flushing and draining so often.

It really does eliminate waste.
Thanks ,i will be buttom feeding (and watering) , makes sense .

Poppa

Nov 5, 2021
Ocean Forest is pre-ammended with nutrients and fertilizers and comes hot used as is. If you water with runoff from fresh bagged soil, then yes you will be flushing out excess nutrients from your soil. If you are trying to save money on nutrients, then yes; you should only water until your growing medium is moist. You will definitely need some sort of flowering booster, nutrients, or fertilizer in the later developmental stages of your flowers if you want optimum quality and to maximize your harvest yield.
water does not wash out organic nutrients. It does not have salt based nutrients. Organic feeds the soil - best to mix half with happy Frog of Promix - washing just makes mud pies.

Ingredients: Composted forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, Pacific Northwest sea-going fish emulsion, crab meal, shrimp meal, earthworm castings, sandy loam, perlite, bat guano, granite dust, Norwegian kelp, and oyster shell

Mikey Dread

Jan 3, 2022
I have always had problems with FFOF being a bit too hot, I have used Happy Frog with great results, but amended at around day 45-50, depending on strain, you can push that soil pretty far