Question Impatience got the best of me, not sure what to do

Stomper1963

May 19, 2021
Hello all I'm a bit stumped and not sure what I should do. I started to flush one of my plants that's closest to harvest 9 days ago. Today I noticed all of the leaves are drastically turning yellow along with even some of the sugar leaves. There are also dried, dark leaves that crumble to the touch. I'm afraid I may have started flushing to early. The trichomes are all cloudy as they were when I started the flush but none have turned amber. Is it too late to start giving CalMag again as I was before the flush or should I continue to flush then harvest early. Even the sweet smell of the buds have lost their nice scent. Thank you for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_2533.JPG
    IMG_2533.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2500.JPG
    IMG_2500.JPG
    524.4 KB · Views: 14
Aug 22, 2021
Hi Stomper,

When flushing your plants, the drastic yellowing of foliage is normal as your plant is using up the available chlorophyll and “nitrogen” in the remaining foliage on your plant if there is none present within your growing medium. I checked out your attached pictures and the flowers look nice, but there are still plenty of white and light colored pistils/stamen so your plant is approaching harvest time but not quite ready yet in my subjective opinion. You also mentioned all cloudy across the entire plant with no ambering, I usually harvest my flowers around this time. If you’re going for a stronger terpene profile then you can let a small percentage of your trichomes turn amber but note that when you allow your plants trichomes to amber; the terpene and flavor profiles are increased at the cost of THC degradation as ambering and color changing of your trichome glandular heads from cloudy is a sign of THC degradation. Your basically trading the affect of your medicine for a stronger flavor and aroma profile. You mentioned that some foliage is still dark colored with crunchy portions on your leaves. This sounds like a Potassium deficiency, not cal mag, as your finishing flowering plants are looking for more potassium nearing the end of their life cycle to properly ripen up and produce the stronger more present terpene profile that you’re looking for...
This is also subjective, but you can flush with diluted and PH’d molasses water to assist with terpene enhancement and increase in yield... strain dependent on efficacy but molasses should improve both of these traits prior to harvest in my experience.

Randall

C

Charlie

Hi Stomper,

When flushing your plants, the drastic yellowing of foliage is normal as your plant is using up the available chlorophyll and “nitrogen” in the remaining foliage on your plant if there is none present within your growing medium. I checked out your attached pictures and the flowers look nice, but there are still plenty of white and light colored pistils/stamen so your plant is approaching harvest time but not quite ready yet in my subjective opinion. You also mentioned all cloudy across the entire plant with no ambering, I usually harvest my flowers around this time. If you’re going for a stronger terpene profile then you can let a small percentage of your trichomes turn amber but note that when you allow your plants trichomes to amber; the terpene and flavor profiles are increased at the cost of THC degradation as ambering and color changing of your trichome glandular heads from cloudy is a sign of THC degradation. Your basically trading the affect of your medicine for a stronger flavor and aroma profile. You mentioned that some foliage is still dark colored with crunchy portions on your leaves. This sounds like a Potassium deficiency, not cal mag, as your finishing flowering plants are looking for more potassium nearing the end of their life cycle to properly ripen up and produce the stronger more present terpene profile that you’re looking for...
This is also subjective, but you can flush with diluted and PH’d molasses water to assist with terpene enhancement and increase in yield... strain dependent on efficacy but molasses should improve both of these traits prior to harvest in my experience.

Randall
Hello thank you for your reply. I guess it boils down to what exactly I am looking for in terms of higher potency or flavor and more couch lock effect. This is my very first grow ever and so I'm not exactly sure what I want, lol. What I will do is wait until the pistils darken and curl in 100% which can be before any trichomes turn amber and then I will harvest. I have 2 other ladies planted the same time but are about 3 weeks behind in flowering. The one in the picture was not topped and moved to a large planter earlier than the other 2. The other 2 ladies were topped and although they seem a little bushier the buds are not as big, yet anyways. I'm thinking I don't really want that couch lock effect as I have been reading but I'll give it a try. Thanks again happing harvesting if you have not already.

Colamaker

Oct 8, 2020
Hello all I'm a bit stumped and not sure what I should do. I started to flush one of my plants that's closest to harvest 9 days ago. Today I noticed all of the leaves are drastically turning yellow along with even some of the sugar leaves. There are also dried, dark leaves that crumble to the touch. I'm afraid I may have started flushing to early. The trichomes are all cloudy as they were when I started the flush but none have turned amber. Is it too late to start giving CalMag again as I was before the flush or should I continue to flush then harvest early. Even the sweet smell of the buds have lost their nice scent. Thank you for any advice
Flushing is bro science. Many lab tests show it does absolutely nothing but stress the plant during its final stage of ripening.

Stomper1963

May 19, 2021
I was looking that up regarding flushing and I did come across may articles saying that their studies showed that there was very little difference when it comes to potency, taste and harshness. I guess it comes down to preference. Thank you again everyone for your posts. The buds are looking amazing it's just a matter of days now before harvest. Cheers