Indoor - 4th grow ever~The Continuing Saga....

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Thanks guys! From now on I plan to grow autos in 2 gallon pots start to finish instead of one gallon. Sunshine, I will be going up in pot size again later, although I need to get more soil first. I've heard its best to upsize gradually. Do you concur? It would be a lot easier to go straight to a 5 or 7 gallon. I do have my five 3 gallon pots ready to go but I wouldn't mind skipping this middle step of upsizing if it is not really worth the effort. Thoughts?
I like to grow in the final container from the off. This removes handling, error, potential stress and a limiting factor. The only danger is overwatering but with a good medium and common sense that's easily avoided.
I say go straight to the biggest you can!

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Ok, update time. I ordered and received 7 gallon grow bags. (I also did the same with Bubble Bags):p. I got more soil (Sunshine MIX #4), and got it all mixed up with these products and repotted. Can I get some feedback on these inexpensive readily available products? I've decided to stay Organic and will still be using some of the others I showed earlier, specifically Superthrive, Molasses, and Big Foot Mycorrhizae
So today I also repotted the cuttings. They all had roots, some more than others but they should all have plenty to sustain and hopefully thrive. I put them in the Veg cab and left them at 18/6 light cycle. I decided to go ahead and switch to 12/12 and get on with flowering. The 3 autos are budding nicely and I'm not too concerned about the loss of yield. The bluedreamatic is doing best, followed by the White Widow. The Northern Light auto got a bit tall and leggy but is putting on some buds. Will be fun to watch....

IMG_2716.JPGIMG_2718.JPGIMG_2728.JPGIMG_2739.JPGIMG_2733.JPGIMG_2735.JPGIMG_2736.JPGIMG_2737.JPGIMG_2738.JPGIMG_2744.JPGIMG_2745.JPGIMG_2746.JPGIMG_2716.JPGIMG_2718.JPGIMG_2728.JPGIMG_2739.JPGIMG_2733.JPGIMG_2735.JPGIMG_2736.JPGIMG_2737.JPGIMG_2738.JPGIMG_2744.JPGIMG_2745.JPGIMG_2746.JPG

Last edited:

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Oops, so the photo with the products didn't come up. Here they are. Thoughts? The Dr. Earth should last through the rest of the grow. Organic feeding recommendations are welcome-please. I did go out to my burn pile and gathered some Biochar and my worm bin is producing some decent castings but I haven't done anything with them yet. Any organic flowering best practices advice for big sticky buds?
Also for you Alphatoy, notice the AP has snapped out of it's funk and is starting to come along. I trimmed & topped it today. It is the one pictured front and center in the 1 gallon pot above.

IMG_2740.JPG

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Any organic flowering best practices advice for big sticky buds?
It's all about your soil mix in true organic growing, feed the soil and the soil will feed the plants. A living soil will have everything your plants need to thrive and produce the very best medicine.
Mix the biochar and castings in the mix for your next run and some fish blood and bone, the down to earth brand (all purpose) is a good one to look out for as it has lots of excellent additions off the bat and it's very well priced. For this run just use diluted sea weed with most if not all waterings and do a light top dress with the dr earth (~3 tablespoons per pot), that should be plenty to get through this run, you can always add more later if needed.
Good luck and congratulations on going organic!

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
It's all about your soil mix in true organic growing, feed the soil and the soil will feed the plants. A living soil will have everything your plants need to thrive and produce the very best medicine.
Mix the biochar and castings in the mix for your next run and some fish blood and bone, the down to earth brand (all purpose) is a good one to look out for as it has lots of excellent additions off the bat and it's very well priced. For this run just use diluted sea weed with most if not all waterings and do a light top dress with the dr earth (~3 tablespoons per pot), that should be plenty to get through this run, you can always add more later if needed.
Good luck and congratulations on going organic!

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Thanks Sunshine! I've seen the Down to earth all purpose, although I've never looked closely at it. Sounds like some good stuff and I'll likely incorporated into my outdoor planting areas and garden plot to build some good soil as well. By diluted seaweed, is the Alaska pure kelp plant food what your referring to? It this stuff going to be ok? It has a hydroponic label. I'm thinking like 2-3 table spoons per gallon? Also, I broke out the new bubble bags and made up just over 1.5 oz of kief from my saved trim.:) Worked amazingly well for my first time. Used the dry ice method. IMG_2751.JPG

Last edited:

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
??
Ok, update time. I ordered and received 7 gallon grow bags. (I also did the same with Bubble Bags):p. I got more soil (Sunshine MIX #4), and got it all mixed up with these products and repotted. Can I get some feedback on these inexpensive readily available products? I've decided to stay Organic and will still be using some of the others I showed earlier, specifically Superthrive, Molasses, and Big Foot Mycorrhizae
So today I also repotted the cuttings. They all had roots, some more than others but they should all have plenty to sustain and hopefully thrive. I put them in the Veg cab and left them at 18/6 light cycle. I decided to go ahead and switch to 12/12 and get on with flowering. The 3 autos are budding nicely and I'm not too concerned about the loss of yield. The bluedreamatic is doing best, followed by the White Widow. The Northern Light auto got a bit tall and leggy but is putting on some buds. Will be fun to watch....

View attachment 9014View attachment 9015View attachment 9016View attachment 9017View attachment 9018View attachment 9020View attachment 9021View attachment 9022View attachment 9023View attachment 9024View attachment 9025View attachment 9026View attachment 9014View attachment 9015View attachment 9016View attachment 9017View attachment 9018View attachment 9020View attachment 9021View attachment 9022View attachment 9023View attachment 9024View attachment 9025View attachment 9026
Great shot on the roots plants are looking great keep us updated thank you jason :)
Thanks Sunshine! I've seen the Down to earth all purpose, although I've never looked closely at it. Sounds like some good stuff and I'll likely incorporated into my outdoor planting areas and garden plot to build some good soil as well. By diluted seaweed, is the Alaska pure kelp plant food what your referring to? It this stuff going to be ok? It has a hydroponic label. I'm thinking like 2-3 table spoons per gallon? Also, I broke out the new bubble bags and made up just over 1.5 oz of kief from my saved trim.:) Worked amazingly well for my first time. Used the dry ice method. View attachment 9064
I am jealous:imp:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
By diluted seaweed, is the Alaska pure kelp plant food what your referring to? It this stuff going to be ok? It has a hydroponic label. I'm thinking like 2-3 table spoons per gallon?
Yes, that' the stuff, 2-3 tables spoons per gallon sounds about right ? If you're ever in doubt treat two plants wait a week and see how they react, if positive apply to the whole crop.
The kief looks fantastic, congratulations and well done my friend, are you going to press any into hash or leave it all as is?

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
??
Great shot on the roots plants are looking great keep us updated thank you jason :)

I am jealous:imp:
I appreciate your approval and encouragement! I got the kief idea from reading on here and YouTube. I didn't realized how efficient the bubble bags are with the dry ice method and wasn't really sure what I was doing. It was great to strip all that trim of the goodness and compost the spoils. I understand your in the process of using a press to make hash. Tell us more Aphatoy. Maybe we should start a thread on this subject or is there one already on here somewhere? Now that I have a good pile of kief, what to do with it is the question. Obviously smoke it, but should I press it or process it more? The photo of the jars is just under an oz. / 27.7 grams. It started as 6.44 oz. of quality trim. First run with the 220 bag I got 16.2 g, second was 160 bag for 10.1 g and for fun tried a third attempt using the 73 micron bag and got the darker 1.4 grams in the little jar. I also had a bunch of trim that I decarboxylated. It started at 4.3 oz. and I ended up with just over 1/2 oz. / 14.7 grams for edible receipts or capsules.(Not pictured). I'm interested in potentially turning the other into hash. All in all I'd say the bubble bags paid for themselves already several times over and buying dry ice seemed so much cleaner and easier than the wet method although I haven't tried it.

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Yes, that' the stuff, 2-3 tables spoons per gallon sounds about right ? If you're ever in doubt treat two plants wait a week and see how they react, if positive apply to the whole crop.
The kief looks fantastic, congratulations and well done my friend, are you going to pressinto hash or leave it all as is?
Thanks! Your positive feedback and information is very helpful! I'm thinking about pressing into hash but there is another one I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing yet. Do you have any tips or tricks for me that does not require a large investment?

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?wow you mean you did not use a 25 mesh bag that is where you are suppose to get the prime stuff also did you get your sizes mixed up you said the 73 was green usually the 220 is green the smaller the mesh the blonder the product so if 73 was your smallest you lost a good sum yes dry ice is probably the easiest but nearest dry ice from me is about 100 miles and it cost to much to have it shipped so that is 200 miles round trip another 20.$ in gas ?

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
?wow you mean you did not use a 25 mesh bag that is where you are suppose to get the prime stuff also did you get your sizes mixed up you said the 73 was green usually the 220 is green the smaller the mesh the blonder the product so if 73 was your smallest you lost a good sum yes dry ice is probably the easiest but nearest dry ice from me is about 100 miles and it cost to much to have it shipped so that is 200 miles round trip another 20.$ in gas ?
Sounds like I did get my bag micron order mixed up, lol. No wonder it seemed like I couldn't get shit out of the 73, besides the fact I got most of it with the other bags first. I wonder how it would have turned out the other way. It seems to have worked well for not knowing what I was doing. Trial and error, live and learn. Thank you guys for coaching me along the way, it makes it a lot easier.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
With bubble/ice hash the 25 is the catch all bag at the end, the small microns catch all the small and broken trichs and heads that have evaded the other bags. With the bubble/ice method you're passing the water with trichomes suspended in it through it and catching them like a net so the smaller the net the more you catch.
With dry sift dry ice method where you're effectively using the bag as a sift the opposite is the case, the 73 has wider microns so lets more through than using a smaller micron bag like a 25, the bags aren't used to catch but rather to pass through and seperate the plant matter from the kief, so the bigger the micron the more passes through.

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Ok, makes good sense. I goofed and was thinking along the lines of sandpaper that the bigger the number the smaller the micron size like grit size. So, its the opposite. Bigger bag number equals bigger holes to let larger material pass. Smaller number, smaller micron size. So, my question is, what bag sizes and order do you recommend for dry ice sift method? Using all 5 seems like over kill. I just used the 160 only for my decarbed trim and got a nice return. Also, do I need to have a press to make hash or is there another DIY way?

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?220 is usually the work bag so you would put the 25 on first than the 75 than the 120 than the 220 if you are using a 4 bag I myself was going to use a pollen press made by HONEYPUFF from Amazon they make nice little pucks. actually you have hash that is called bubble hash right. keif from what I understand is the dust from grinders. and a heat press produces rosen more like a gob of honey. ? have you done any of the seeds we traded I have a green krack breaking ground right now lost the other while in hospital. :)

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
@Alphatoy are you collecting in the bags or onto an open surface like perhaps an acrylic sheet or large peice of glass/mirror.
Same question to @Jason.
I think the difference in advice is potentially due to the difference in methods applied here. It sounds like @Alphatoy is collecting in the bags, it sounds like @Jason is collecting on a surface (dry sift style).
Either way, I'm very jealous of that amazing looking kief you got @Jason, I think for your first time you absolutely smashed it!!!!

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
@Alphatoy are you collecting in the bags or onto an open surface like perhaps an acrylic sheet or large peice of glass/mirror.
Same question to @Jason.
I think the difference in advice is potentially due to the difference in methods applied here. It sounds like @Alphatoy is collecting in the bags, it sounds like @Jason is collecting on a surface (dry sift style).
Either way, I'm very jealous of that amazing looking kief you got @Jason, I think for your first time you absolutely smashed it!!!!
You got it right Sunshine. I'm was doing the dry ice sift. I muffed up on the micron sizes but the aggressiveness of the sift is where the quality change came from. If I'd have used the 220 on my last run I bet I would have ended up with a bunch more of the darker material.

Back