Indoor - 4th grow ever~The Continuing Saga....

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?that is a very unusual looking bud to me it is actually very beautiful and great shots all you guys make me feel bad with all of your great shots :(

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
After trimming these ladies I'm pretty nose blind sunshine, but I must say, when I pop the lids to burp them and take a whiff, it smells like heaven.

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
?that is a very unusual looking bud to me it is actually very beautiful and great shots all you guys make me feel bad with all of your great shots :(
I decided to go ahead and snap a few shots with my I-phone. It takes a lot better pics than my cheapo camera. Especially close ups.

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
?Really beautiful Buds Jason I have yet to grow any that turns purple or dark leaves mine are always green, I have yet to reveg a plant right I figured why reveg when clones are faster to get and I do love floating seeds and watch them grow how many of your plants do you hydro like the one on MOTM with the roots? I have never tried that also I always do it the old way. it sure seems like a lot of members are not showing up miss a lot of the oldies and new members, but I have to remember my age and retired. or just tired :laughing:?

Hey alphatoy, I've read up a bit about finishing flowers and since I started lowering the temps and humidity levels during the last few weeks I've noticed a lot more fall like colors coming out. The green crack was never purple like this before. I'm sure the strain has a lot to do with it also. The other thing I tried this time for increased trichome production is a dark period. It's somewhat controversial but the majority of my research has recommended it. I stopped the water, turned off the heat and lights and left em alone for 48 + hours. In fact I went out of town and it was almost 72 hours of darkness. They were full of sticky yum when I left but they seemed even more so when I returned and gave them the chop. Seven days later, and wow! Apparently these methods kick in their defense mechanisms which increases the goodness we are after. It may all be hog wash but I'm a believer. @Sunshine will you chime in with your thoughts and words of wisdom?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
I'm not certain there are any definitive studies testing this theory but it's certainly interesting.

It's possible that the extra week itself made the difference and that that coupled with the darkness reducing the chlorophyll make/made the flowers appear whiter.

Its also possible, even likely, that the darkness may preserve terpenes and cannaboids from degradation.

Either way it can't hurt and the reduction in chlorophyll coupled with the possibility of terpene and canniboid preservation might lead to an increase or improvement in flavour or potency.

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?Wow I believe you are a winner MOTM sorry my MOTM picture for you didn't win but the winner was a better one but I liked your little girl root congratulation on the win?

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?
Hi Alphatoy. Yes I just gave them the chop today. Been pretty busy lately. They just finished up a couple days of darkness. I was gonna veg. 3 of them but decided against it. Turned out super sticky :yumView attachment 9761View attachment 9763View attachment 9764?View attachment 9761View attachment 9766
?Jason my friend how do you like those material bags I have 5 of them but have not used them as of yet do they drain the water faster or do they hold water good that is the reason I have not used as of yet want my plants to retain their water??

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
I like them. This article tells about the advantages. https://www.bootstrapfarmer.com/blogs/grow-bags/grow-bags-vs-pots-advantages-of-grow-bags
The plants seem to like them and I get a lot of nice fine fibrous roots and no root bound plants. I water them very slowly, especially at first to let the water soak into the soil. If I add to fast it runs off around the edges instead of soaking in. By slowly adding the water, it absorbs and penetrates the soil real nice to a good saturation point and then will start to run off once the soil holding capacity has been reached. That's when I know they are well watered and ready to start another drying cycle. Also, I like the handles and light weight as it makes it easy to lift them and judge moisture content by weight. Here are some old shots from a previous grow in 5 gal. bags. The 7 gallon I used this time I have yet to unpot and rework the soil. I'll try and get some root ball photos of those if I can remember. I'm also curious to see how the root development looks on this most recent grow. These are from a Gelato OG plant. Of course it's all about personal preference. I have a friend that does not care for them.

Attachments

• IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_2587.JPG
    IMG_2587.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
?Wow I believe you are a winner MOTM sorry my MOTM picture for you didn't win but the winner was a better one but I liked your little girl root congratulation on the win?
Thanks bud! I appreciate the votes!!I'm very pleased with the results on this grow. I have my two clones of each Peyote Critical, Critical Orange Punch and Green Crack vegging out and I think I'll flip them for the new year to 12/12 and just focus on these 6 for now. Then I'm probably going to start a new nursery of seedlings for my spring planting. I'll keep this post going with the clones and maybe start a new one with the new seedlings. For now I have some serious smoking to do....

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?yes I am with you my green crack started flowering on 11/29 so I am very happy, she is looking really nice you will have to puff 5 or 6 times a day to keep up with your stash haha. ?

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Good to hear about the green crack. I'm looking forward to your pictures of it. I took my green crack clones after they started flowering so they will be monsters. They have revegged and look kind of bizarre right now compared to the others because they have both new and old growth leaves. My first try at monster cropping. Something new to look forward to.:grinning: I'll get some new pics up eventually and keep this thread going.

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
How did the Gelato OG turn out in the end @Jason? Any stand out favourite/s from this run just gone?
The Gelato OG turned out nice. A real smooth mellow smoke. The buds are more brown than green. My favorite by far is the Peyote Critical. Coincidentally the same one as MOTM. It tastes absolutely delicious. That's the only way I know how to describe it. BTW the Critical Orange Punch is getting an obvious citrus scent and flavor now.

Last edited:

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?I was wondering you guys want to try all of them out some day/ how many different strains are their out their and how many new ones are coming in every month, and it takes 3 to 4 months for every bush to ripen the question is can you ever try every one????Sorry":sob:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Too many seeds not enough time!
You can never try them all so you have to just try the most appealing ones. I'm trying to introduce at least one new strain every run in a game of 'winner stays on' with anything not at the 'highest' level being eliminated and replaced with something elite.
Stinky Seeds Dead Hooker OG was a game changer for me and has set the bar very high indeed, GDP for me is at that level, we'll see if the Wedding Cake is, if not she'll be replaced by a Gelato or Purple Punchsicle and on we go.
That's the great thing about this hobby, there's always something new and exciting to try, I feel like a kid at christmas every time I pop a new seed or harvest a new strain and it never gets old :)

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?Well said Sunshine it is very hard for me also to pop a new seed their are to many Clones of good stuff My wife likes or loves that is why I am going to not take any more clones and try some of my new seeds got some Gorilla Glue coming in the mail am anxious to get them in plus I have daydreamxheadband (new) and the zkittle and the 09 the ones you sent that are (new) so I do have 3 new ones this cropo_O

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
It's been a while and I wanted to keep this post running so it's time for an update. I just uploaded some more photos for what has been growing on....
The photos are me playing with some monster cropping, super cropping, and some of the grow bag root ball photos from this grow I said I'd post. I've kept these clones going in veg for quite a while and I switched them to flower on 1/1/2020 for the new year. I think I should be harvesting around mid March just in time for a new spring crop from seed. If things go as planned I'll start that as a "5th grow ever", thread.
One thing I've discovered is that my organic soil mix is a bit acidic. If I could get some advanced grower advice on how to carefully raise my PH a bit, I'd be very grateful. I'm at around the low to mid, 5- 5.5 PH I've noticed the Critical Orange Punch is affected the most and some initial overall stunting when I replanted. I went from 1 gallon to 7 gallon into freshly amended soil, except the little Green Crack monsters that went in 3 gallon pots. I added mycorrhizae, compost, chicken manure, worm castings, seaweed, Dr. Earth Organic Flower and some 10-20-20 organic fert. (sample), to Sunshine mix #4 and existing soil from this grow. I watered in with Superthrive and molasses. All of this, I've added in very minor amounts but it appears I've been a little over generous. Plenty of organic nutrients I'm sure but the PH has created Nutrient lock. I'm thinking of adding some lime but want to be careful how much. Maybe some Root farm PH up? Maybe just water well and leave alone to let the organics decompose and naturally balance the PH? Any suggestions? Thanks for reading and in advance for any recommendations.IMG_3002.JPG

Last edited:

Back