Question Is this worth getting for small grow

M

Mindpanic

I just seen one of these super cheap but is it any good?
Am not looking anything super powerful just for 1 or 2 plants from bagseed...
61FuTcIrFIL._SL1000_.jpg

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Hi Mindpanic :) Short answer to the question is no, those are no good for growing at all. If you're on a budget save your money and go for these instead
ae235

Great thing is that you can buy them anywhere, they are very efficient for growing especially for 1 or 2 plants and you can add more as you need them. Shoot for 20watts - 30w per square foot as a guide :)
Here's some useful info

A 15 watt Screw-In Replacement LED Bulb
can be quickly turned into a grow light for cannabis or other plants. This 15 watt lamp is an LED replacement for a 100 watt incandescent light bulb. Once the globe is removed, it will provide enough light for a 10" circle of vegetation, at about 10 inches away. Cannabis is a plant which requires high amounts of light, many vegetables and herbs require much less light. You would be able to use fewer lights, spaced further apart.
Screw-In-LED-Replacement.JPG

Currently Around $6USD
These lamps can be quickly converted to a grow lamp and are simply screwed in to a normal lamp socket. The main task is to remove the plastic globe/lens, so the LEDs can shine directly on the plants.

Screw in the LED and Turn it On
so that it heats up the base. Like compact flourescent lamps, the base of the lamp is a ballast and heats up during use. The Globe is either plastic or glass and will be glued to the base. Heat softens the glue, allowing you to easily pry the globe off.

Grab a Potholder and a Double Handled Corkscrew
like this one.
double-handle-corkscrew.JPG

It has a pointy tip, as you can see here
corkscrew-tip.JPG

Once the Base of the Lamp is Hot
unscrew it, using the hot pad, and hold it against a heat proof table top. Jam the corkscrew tip between the base and globe, making sure there's no danger if you slip.
corkscrew-globe-removal.JPG

Once the Tip Is Between the Base and Globe
gently lever the globe away from the base. At this point, it may help to use a second tool to hold open the gap. Work your way around the globe, slowly prying the glue apart. Once you're done you'll have a globe which looks like this.
Removed-LED-Globe-Plastic.JPG

Your Grow Light is Finished
GE-LED-face.JPG

Each of the little yellow squares is a piece of COB LED, or Cree On Board LED. Count the number of squares and divide them by the wattage of the lamp. This is the approximate wattage of each little LED.

M

Mindpanic

Thanks Sunshine I didn't know I could use those

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Yes they work very well, people are getting really amazing results with these super efficient bulbs :)
I've seen several grows where 1gram per watt has been comfortably smashed with these off the shelf led's and they run a lot cooler than compact flourescents and are many times more efficient too ;)

M

Mindpanic

How many of those bulbs for 1 plant do you think would get me decent bud and should I get cool white or the warm ones?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
For 1 plant get 4 or 5 of these bulbs, 5 bulbs would be 65 watts/7605 lumens which is enough to grow 2-3 ounces with a decent veg and some plant training :) You could go for 4 warm whites and 1 cool white in the centre :idea:
Good luck getting setup @Mindpanic let us know how you go and shout if you have any other questions! :sun:

Gauge Grayette

Dec 22, 2017
A 15 watt Screw-In Replacement LED Bulb
can be quickly turned into a grow light for cannabis or other plants.
Screw-In-LED-Replacement.JPG

These lamps can be quickly converted to a grow lamp...
Wow! Not often I stumble across such a useful/practical post, that actually applies to my situation. Almost makes me regret getting the last 23W $9 led bulb I got(can't be dismantled so easily). But I do have a few like this. They opened right up after a few chips with a pocket knife& some razor blade scoring. Oddly enough, I have a corkscrew sitting about 2 feet away from my grow space.
It's like taking a lamp shade off 2017-12-21 20.34.32.jpg

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Welcome to FC Gauge glad you found the post useful :) The results some people are getting from those new led lightbulbs are fantastic! What strains do you have on the go at the moment?

Gauge Grayette

Dec 22, 2017
My clones didn't wind up working out so well (tried 3 & then another 2). I have 13 (feminized) seedlings going, of 2 separate, but unknown stains. Both are originally from high quality genetics, but are direct descendants of low budget/inexperienced growers.
11 are under 5 small-ish lights (45w/23w/9.5w led& 2x14w cfl's). 2 others are under a 400w MH, supplemented by 3hrs per (mid)"day" of 1,000w hps, dimmed down to 600w. Those 2 are growing MUCH faster.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
11 are under 5 small-ish lights (45w/23w/9.5w led& 2x14w cfl's). 2 others are under a 400w MH, supplemented by 3hrs per (mid)"day" of 1,000w hps, dimmed down to 600w. Those 2 are growing MUCH faster.
You have a 45w led lightbulb? How much did it cost? Here it's hard to get led light bulbs over 14w, even those you have to search for. Do you know how many lumens the 45 puts out? I imagine close to 5000?
It's awesome you can dim your hps!!! I'm guessing you have a digital ballast?
The mystery strains sound intriguing, I can't wait to see how they turn out! :)

Gauge Grayette

Dec 22, 2017
You have a 45w led lightbulb? How much did it cost? Here it's hard to get led light bulbs over 14w, even those you have to search for. Do you know how many lumens the 45 puts out? I imagine close to 5000?
It's awesome you can dim your hps!!! I'm guessing you have a digital ballast?
The mystery strains sound intriguing, I can't wait to see how they turn out! :)
The 45w led is actually a husky shop light. But in spectrum, it's identical to a white led grow light. Maybe not better than full spectrum, but definitely better than just blue& red leds.
&yes, the metal halide & hps are both big beefy hid all-in-one kits (bulb/hood/ballast). Actually they are both capable of doing either MH, or HPS.
The pic is of the 1,000w hps. Has settings for 600, 750, 1,000, &1,150. The MH is 400w only, currently running 17h30m per day.
I too am anxious to see how these plants come along. I just had the 1st show signs of sex today (female thankfully). Fingers crossed they will most, or all follow suit.

Attachments

• 00i0i_3g2br1Lv25z_1200x900.jpg
    00i0i_3g2br1Lv25z_1200x900.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 311

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
The pic is of the 1,000w hps. Has settings for 600, 750, 1,000, &1,150. The MH is 400w only, currently running 17h30m per day.
I too am anxious to see how these plants come along. I just had the 1st show signs of sex today (female thankfully). Fingers crossed they will most, or all follow suit.
Fingers crossed for lots of girls! :) When are you going to flower them off?
Any pics of the harem? :sun:

Potanist

Jan 18, 2018
You will never get good results using such weak lighting. if you want to use these type lights T5 fluorescents are OK for the veg stage. As far as the bud stage is concerned output is directly related to wattage , you will get airy lose buds with weak lights, get at least a 100 watt HPS but the really best min wattage would be a 400 watt HPS... the amount and quality of the light matters

Back