Cannabis Cultivation Network

Learn How To Grow Your Own Medicine

Register Ask Question
StrainSupermarket.com - 100s of Breeders | 1000s of Strains

Lightning

D

Dion

I am growing five plants in a 5 x 5 tent under HID. I had read that a 600 W bulb was sufficient. However I am also reading Ed Rosenthal's book and he states that a 1000 W bulb is sufficient for a 4 by 4. My seeds are just emerging from their shells. Can I continue with the smaller bulb (saving money on electric bill) until the plants are bigger before switching to the larger bulb or should I switch now? Thank for your help.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
A 600w
I am growing five plants in a 5 x 5 tent under HID. I had read that a 600 W bulb was sufficient. However I am also reading Ed Rosenthal's book and he states that a 1000 W bulb is sufficient for a 4 by 4. My seeds are just emerging from their shells. Can I continue with the smaller bulb (saving money on electric bill) until the plants are bigger before switching to the larger bulb or should I switch now? Thank for your help.
Yes a 600w will be fine. With clever plant rotation I think you could easily make it work all the way through to harvest and have less heat to worry about. Happy growing!

Ras Mountain

I grow in 3.5' x 3.5' and usually stay at 400w for the first month. Then when the plants have reached the point where I can begin training them I'll bump it up to 600w. For the summertime, especially the first couple of grows, that's where you're most likely to avoid some common problems like heat stress and light bleaching.

Come October though, I'll push 1000w at nighttime ( 7pm to 7am), as the excess heat is no longer an issue, and even provides the home with enough warmth to the point where I can turn the heater off!

I definitely notice greater yields in the winter, but it's less about power consumption and more about getting the right conditions dialed in.

TossWeed

A 600w

Yes a 600w will be fine. With clever plant rotation I think you could easily make it work all the way through to harvest and have less heat to worry about. Happy growing!
Something I suggest to new growers is to take seedlings & put them in a bright sunny south facing & window & chase sun to to prevent light burning or worse going spindly. You will get very squat strong plants. Spray all the time if the seed pod is still attached & even a little shade until it comes off never letting pod dry out! Then back to sunny window & water around plant. To keep 18 hrs of light schedule put plants back in tent before sunset & use a timer!! I only use led so can't comment on 600.

Top Bottom