Question Long Storage for Buds

Stomper1963

May 19, 2021
Hello all hope everyone is well and had a good harvest.
I have 6 of 1 liter mason jars of cured buds. I have maintained humidity between 55 and 65% while opening every day for gas exchange and sometimes to let off excess humidity. I am worried about mold since I had one full jar get covered in mold although the humidity was 78% which I didn't notice until too late. Garbage that batch went.
For long term storage I plan on keeping them in the same jars since they are air tight. The humidity now for them is between 52% and 57%. My question is do I still have to keep opening the jars to exchange gas each day or can I now leave them in a dark place with temps ranging from 19 to 24 degrees Celsius until needed.
Thank you again I appreciate the help,
Cheers

Hemp Knight

Nov 2, 2021
I have 6 of 1 liter mason jars of cured buds. I have maintained humidity between 55 and 65% while opening every day for gas exchange and sometimes to let off excess humidity. I am worried about mold since I had one full jar get covered in mold although the humidity was 78% which I didn't notice until too late. Garbage that batch went.
For long term storage I plan on keeping them in the same jars since they are air tight. The humidity now for them is between 52% and 57%. My question is do I still have to keep opening the jars to exchange gas each day or can I now leave them in a dark place with temps ranging from 19 to 24 degrees Celsius until needed.
Cheers
I would continue to open them once a day to off gas for another week or two to allow moisture levels to stabilize. Once they stabilize just crack the jar once a week for another month and you should be good after that for long term (6 months) storage. If you’re looking to store longer that that, I suggest getting a food storage vacuum sealer and seal them after your burping. (Don’t vacuum it too much, leave some air so as not to crush them pretty flowers) store the vacuum bag in a freezer, and when you want some smoke, allow 20-30 minutes after taking out of freezer before use.

Slothman

Oct 9, 2021
If the humidity is around 50 percent you don't need to worry about burping. The cure zone is between 55 and 65%. If its between 65 to 70,burp daily until it stabilizes below 65,then burp once a week or so. If you want your bud to cure slowly over time,try to keep the humidity between 55 and 65 for as long as you can. Once it drops below 55 then its not curing anymore.

I would only worry about mold when the humidity is close to or over 70 percent

Ras Mountain

Jul 9, 2020
I usually go by feel. If it is damp it will stick, and make no sound when rolled between fingers.

The sound of dry leaves is audible and crinkly.

ALSO I've noticed that buds on the bottom of the jar, tend to germinate mold first since they are exposed to the least oxygen and tend to compact. Some times I have to roll the flowers around to mix them up and redistribute the moisture. Yes, I occasionally jar wet. This only helps if there isn't any sign of mold YET. Once it is mold it's to be removed.

Consider not packing up jars, but rather allow them to have some fluff so they can breathe, and roll (if necessary).

Gerald Rochon

Nov 3, 2021
Cheers
I have some stored in mason jars from 2 years ago once you read reach the right humidity level I leave them sealed and I keep a humidity pack like a Boveda pack in there with them I have some stored at 62% without issues

Gerald Rochon

Nov 3, 2021
I have some stored in mason jars from 2 years ago once you read reach the right humidity level I leave them sealed and I keep a humidity pack like a Boveda pack in there with them I have some stored at 62% without issues
When they have been sealed for a long time and you open them they actually pop like a fresh jar coffee

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
🤠 If you have full jars that is BAD your jar should never be over 3/4 full and every time you Burp them you need to shake it up easy to seperate all buds actually you need to burp for at least for a month after harvesting if you are going to put them in a refrigator that is a great way to produce mold dont do it if anything freeze them i myself have had buds in a jar for 2 years in a cabinet and just burp them and no mold. 🧙‍♂️

Last edited: