Cannabis Cultivation Network

Learn How To Grow Top Shelf Medicine at Home

Register Ask Question

Making cannabis infused alcohol (rum)

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Thread starter #1
So I decided to use up some powdered lower bud and sugar leaf I had lying around by infusing it with alcohol, something which I haven't done for several years...

The first step in making cannabis infused alcohol is to decarb your herb, best advice at the moment is to heat to 240f for 45-60mins for the best conversion.
What Is Decarboxylation?
We’re going to get a little science-y here, but stick with me. It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Decarboxylation is simply “a chemical reaction that removes a carboxyl group and releases carbon dioxide (CO2)” [wiki].

When it comes to marijuana, decarboxylation effectively removes the COOH group from the THC-A molecule by releasing H2O (water) an CO2 (carbon dioxide), turning it into the psychoactive THC.
After the herb was decarb'd I added it to the alcohol bottle using a funnel made from paper and gave it a good shake.
DSC_1989.JPG
DSC_1990.JPG DSC_1991.JPG
Now it's a question of sitting back and leaving it until xmas/new year to infuse. Nearer the time I'll decant and strain it into a smaller bottle so there's no particulate left in the rum.

I'm looking forward to sharing some shots of this with good friends over the festive season :party::party::party: