New start GG#4 and Pineapple

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Yeh you get the strange lines in the pics with hps, try changing some camera settings and see if that helps :)
(copied from another site).......

There are several tricks to taking nice pictures under an HPS grow light. This tutorial will walk you through everything I've learned on my cannabis picture-taking journey.

Here's the same pic after I activated the "Tungsten" setting on my camera. In my case, it was in the menu under "Light Levels," but it often appears in different places on different camera models.

Look at the difference in color when I activated the Tungsten setting!

This setting or mode is available on nearly all digital cameras if you look under the various settings, including click-and-shoot models. You'll also find these settings in iPhones and many other phone cameras. If it doesn't say "Tungsten," then look for a "Flourescent Lighting" or "Incandescent" settings, which are basically the same thing with different names.

Sometimes playing with other settings on your camera can make a huge difference. Here are some settings to play with to see if it can help you achieve better pictures.
  • White Balance
  • Exposure
  • Shutter Speed (especially if you're seeing black lines)
Probably the easiest way to reduce the yellow color in pictures is by changing the "White Balance" setting on your camera or cell phone to use the "Tungsten" setting. If that's not available, the next best is "Fluorescent."

Most cameras and phones have similar White Balance settings

white-balance-settings.jpg

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Yeh you get the strange lines in the pics with hps, try changing some camera settings and see if that helps :)
(copied from another site).......

There are several tricks to taking nice pictures under an HPS grow light. This tutorial will walk you through everything I've learned on my cannabis picture-taking journey.

Here's the same pic after I activated the "Tungsten" setting on my camera. In my case, it was in the menu under "Light Levels," but it often appears in different places on different camera models.

Look at the difference in color when I activated the Tungsten setting!

This setting or mode is available on nearly all digital cameras if you look under the various settings, including click-and-shoot models. You'll also find these settings in iPhones and many other phone cameras. If it doesn't say "Tungsten," then look for a "Flourescent Lighting" or "Incandescent" settings, which are basically the same thing with different names.

Sometimes playing with other settings on your camera can make a huge difference. Here are some settings to play with to see if it can help you achieve better pictures.
  • White Balance
  • Exposure
  • Shutter Speed (especially if you're seeing black lines)
Probably the easiest way to reduce the yellow color in pictures is by changing the "White Balance" setting on your camera or cell phone to use the "Tungsten" setting. If that's not available, the next best is "Fluorescent."

Most cameras and phones have similar White Balance settings

white-balance-settings.jpg
Nice find @Sunshine ! Very helpful bit of info, I'll give it a try next time i snap pics :)

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
My phone is pretty basic :( it didn't have any modes that functioned well with the hps so i had to turn it off but its probably better this way.

Are they all showing indica traits? They have fat leaves :)

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
They look spot on @FerretWrangler! When they have that sheen/shine to the leaves you know you've hit the bulls eye.
4/5 do have nice thick indica looking leaves the other looks more mixed but it's too early to tell as they can behave quite differently when you're a few weeks into flowering.
Kali mist/western winds for example starts off looking like an indica but a week or two after flipping they no longer demonstrate the fat leaves and have very thin leaves on new growth and long/running sativa spears.
By the end of this month they are going to be some stocky little monsters!

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
I'm pleased they look good :) I kinda knew it's a bit too early to read into it but it sure is fun to speculate o_O still waiting for more nodes to LST, and I will try to give them some compost tea on Thursday or Friday. Would you personally feel comfortable giving the compost tea from the hydro store to these plants? I just don't have access to active compost.

I was also wondering about veg time? I know that's kinda hit or miss to guess at but on average, coupled with the rate they're at now... any idea @Sunshine ?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
I'd leave the compost tea. Currently they are perfect, you do not want to do anything that might change that. Water only to the end and you'll have some stunning flowers.
Good question re veg time, I'd be looking to flip them 4th of March which is 3 Sundays from tomorrow ;)

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
I'd leave the compost tea. Currently they are perfect, you do not want to do anything that might change that. Water only to the end and you'll have some stunning flowers.
Good question re veg time, I'd be looking to flip them 4th of March which is 3 Sundays from tomorrow ;)
I will leave the tea then, you really think they could be ready to flip by march 4th? I was also wondering if its a problem if the soil isn't directly flush with the cotyledons? From them growing and me watering the soil down the food leaves are about an inch or so above the soil for 4/5.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Yes definitely, this time next week they will start to look like proper plants, a couple of weeks after that they will be nice shrubs!
No the leaves are fine, don't worry about them being flush, if you top up the soil more roots grow from the stem but it's not something that will massively effect the outcome so don't worry about it my friend.
In terms of lst wait a couple of weeks, I wouldn't bend the tops over this run, think of the plants like upside down umbrellas, you just want to open them up.
Keep up the good growing! :sun:

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Thanks for the tips @Sunshine a tent makes an absolute world of difference :) will I sacrifice yield if I forgo bending them? I'm confident in my LST skills and I'd love to have lots of tops like how I see in pics.

I've got the dehumidifier going, I'm glad I have it and I'll be glad come drying time. Hopefully at the end of next week I'll have an inline and duct coming. I'm getting the type you recommended but not the exact one. Will it take much heat out? Since I will have to re hang the light anyways I could lower it and boost growth if the fan will cool it significantly. I've read that you can keep an hps around 18 inches away and its closer to 40.

Anyways, I want to get a big harvest if I can. I need medicine and money, and a good crop will really help out.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
You bend them to make the lower tops even with the higher tops, this is particularly useful when headroom is limited, which in your case it is not. I'd encourage you to let the plants grow straight up this run, you will get very impressive top colas this way.
The lower branches should be pulled away from a stem, like an upside down umbrella being opened, or like when you take a fake christmas tree out of the box and pull the branches away from the main stem so they are flatter.
You will get 2oz+ per plant, probably a fair bit more if you keep them in the zone and do as little to them as possible.
Pulling the side branches away so they aren't crowded/shaded and get adequate light is the lowest stress solution to improving your yield without going off piste.

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
You bend them to make the lower tops even with the higher tops, this is particularly useful when headroom is limited, which in your case it is not. I'd encourage you to let the plants grow straight up this run, you will get very impressive top colas this way.
The lower branches should be pulled away from a stem, like an upside down umbrella being opened, or like when you take a fake christmas tree out of the box and pull the branches away from the main stem so they are flatter.
You will get 2oz+ per plant, probably a fair bit more if you keep them in the zone and do as little to them as possible.
Pulling the side branches away so they aren't crowded/shaded and get adequate light is the lowest stress solution to improving your yield without going off piste.
I shall defer to your judgement, i can't wait to see those main colas :) i really hope they're all girls. Should i start trying to bend down branches today @Sunshine ?

Last edited:

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
I feel like they're trying to tell me they are pissy.... I dunno what could have upset them though.
I saw a few gnats in the tent so I caught a wolf spider and tossed him in there and threw a sticky yellow trap in and I haven't seen anymore. Temps were on the chilly side so I slowly worked them into a warmer norm, and I haven't watered in days but last watering I went heavier than I had before. I haven't tried to change/fix anything because I realize it's very possible that I am overthinking it. Maybe the soil is too hot? Maybe nothing :) Let me know if you suspect anything @Sunshine , or if they look fine.

This next one is a leaf on the largest most mixed looking plant thats bugging me. It is cupped down like a basil and on some of the other plants in small areas the serrations on the leaves are turned up or down.

A couple look a bit droopy as well and the plant on the front left is crossing fingers a little bit.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
What is the moisture reading on them like at the moment?
Take on from the top of the soil about 4 inches down and one right from the bottom of the soil and report back :)

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
What is the moisture reading on them like at the moment?
Take on from the top of the soil about 4 inches down and one right from the bottom of the soil and report back :)
I don't have the soil meter anymore, i tossed it out under @Uncle_Al 's reccomendation since they're relatively inaccurate and mine had corroded. It was pretty moist for a few days but it seems to have dried out a good bit in the last 2 days.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Soil meters are very good, just don't leave them in the soil. Take a reading, turn them off, wipe them and put to one side, you can get several years of use out of them and I've not had an inaccurate one yet.
The ph readings on them are totally crap from the outset and should be ignored but the moisture readings are always spot on in my experience.
Anyway, to cut a long story short the soil looks a little dry from the pics, you want to keep the soil evenly moisty and not let it totally dry with this style of organics.
Treat it like a sponge, keep it moist, never dry, never soaking. It's best to add small amounts of water, for example 1litre, frequently rather than larger amounts infrequently and keep the sponge topped.
This is unlike normal soil growing where you let it get quite dry between waterings, you want to cycle between just moist to moist.

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Soil meters are very good, just don't leave them in the soil. Take a reading, turn them off, wipe them and put to one side, you can get several years of use out of them and I've not had an inaccurate one yet.
The ph readings on them are totally crap from the outset and should be ignored but the moisture readings are always spot on in my experience.
Anyway, to cut a long story short the soil looks a little dry from the pics, you want to keep the soil evenly moisty and not let it totally dry with this style of organics.
Treat it like a sponge, keep it moist, never dry, never soaking. It's best to add small amounts of water, for example 1litre, frequently rather than larger amounts infrequently and keep the sponge topped.
This is unlike normal soil growing where you let it get quite dry between waterings, you want to cycle between just moist to moist.
As soon as their nap is done i will see if i can add more water. When i go to poke my finger in there it feels solid like there is root mass so i try not to push through it. My last watering i probably gave about a liter, maybe 1.5. When i closed the tent up so they could nap the humidity went up to 90 and the next day 70 after last watering so i was hesitant to water again. The high humidities were only during nap time for 2 days or so btw its easy to get humidity down fast and its almost always in a good range.

And the reason it was corroded was because i left it in the pot with the slh, and its ph was always wrong but when budget permits i will replace it so i can check moisture more accurately.

Edit: I gave them a drink :) 1/5 of a gallon apiece to keep it light and we shall see how they react.

Last edited:

Back