New start GG#4 and Pineapple

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
So the leaves that don't get much light have not stopped drooping, and it even seems worse than before. The largest gg#4 is the worst off, with even some top leaves drooping now, yellowing down low, and an overall yellowish tinge.

I also accidentally broke the top off the pineapple moving it in and out of the tent, and its wound is basically a brutal super crop.

The pineapple should be ok right? Bad timing but not damning i would assume.

Maybe the big gg#4 is hungry?

As for the drooping I've been careful when i water but they usually drink very fast and almost dry up to the point where they droop slightly from thirst. Some of the leaves get rust colored and grey spots and just dry up near the bottom, and the unhealthy ones at the top have red stems. Humidity and temps have been in hand, though I've been letting them be warmer here recently because we had some more cold weather.

I'm gonna switch to plain water for a bit regardless of anything else. Any ideas/tips?

20180325_160309.jpg 20180325_160330.jpg 20180325_160355.jpg 20180325_161222.jpg 20180325_161231.jpg 20180325_161316.jpg 20180325_161504.jpg 20180325_161655.jpg

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
No the plants shouldn't be doing that at all, this is the plant telling you something is not ideal.
The problem - I'd summise that something/things added recently have pushed either ph out of range and or ppms too high. It's not always a good idea to tweak things as you can easily upset the balance which rather than improving, reduces your yield.
The solution - As you correctly stated only water going forwards, make sure there is some runoff when you water ie 10%-15% so you can get things back to where they were before. Out of interest if it were me I'd check the run off ph just to give an indication of where things are at. Depending how much and of what has been added after a few waterings things should snap back into the zone as your ppms drop and the ph corrects itself.
To be fair they don't look massively off track so it should be fairly easy to bring them back into the fold with patience and plain water.

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
No the plants shouldn't be doing that at all, this is the plant telling you something is not ideal.
The problem - I'd summise that something/things added recently have pushed either ph out of range and or ppms too high. It's not always a good idea to tweak things as you can easily upset the balance which rather than improving, reduces your yield.
The solution - As you correctly stated only water going forwards, make sure there is some runoff when you water ie 10%-15% so you can get things back to where they were before. Out of interest if it were me I'd check the run off ph just to give an indication of where things are at. Depending how much and of what has been added after a few waterings things should snap back into the zone as your ppms drop and the ph corrects itself.
To be fair they don't look massively off track so it should be fairly easy to bring them back into the fold with patience and plain water.
I haven't added anything "new" per se since I've been giving molasses and mammoth p since veg but like i said I'm going to use plain water anyways going forward. It could be that last time i gave molasses i added too much but the clawing and drooping down low has been going on for a week or two now and i often give plain water intermittentently.

Also i don't adjust ph because that hurts the microherd. My well water stays between 6.3 and 7.3 and that should buffer itself right?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
The reason for checking run off ph was not so you can add chemicals to adjust it, nor is this something I mention in my post, but rather give you and I an insight into what's happened the why and caused by what.
For example we may have found the run off ph to be 5-5.5 which would tell us that we're a tad acidic. Then we could test your diluted molasses solution and probably find it has a similarly low ph. Molasses can drop your soil ph quite a bit and I think this is most probably your issue.
To cut a long story short as stated previously it's now a case of essentially undoing the adding of the molasses by washing/flushing it through/out with your well water which will bring your ph up and wash the problem out.
They'll be fine, just make sure you get run off on the next 2-4 waterings/until you see the problem corrected.

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
The reason for checking run off ph was not so you can add chemicals to adjust it, nor is this something I mention in my post, but rather give you and I an insight into what's happened the why and caused by what.
For example we may have found the run off ph to be 5-5.5 which would tell us that we're a tad acidic. Then we could test your diluted molasses solution and probably find it has a similarly low ph. Molasses can drop your soil ph quite a bit and I think this is most probably your issue.
To cut a long story short as stated previously it's now a case of essentially undoing the adding of the molasses by washing/flushing it through/out with your well water which will bring your ph up and wash the problem out.
They'll be fine, just make sure you get run off on the next 2-4 waterings/until you see the problem corrected.
I was just double checking, I'm bad about second guessing myself i wasn't trying to correct you friend :) it was my understanding that ph up and down are a no go in a living soil setup and thats what i was trying to convey, while also reaffirming I've done right by avoiding them.

Anyways, yeah I'm noticing similarities in these issues and some of the ones from last grow, and i had given them molasses as well. Though I've given these plants less i suspect its trouble just as you say. I'm gonna hang up molasses for a few grows or so and mammoth p for a bit as well though i don't believe mammoth p to be the main cause and i like the idea of it.

Here's what i collected for data on them, but ph is a rough estimate since I'm using strips.

20180327_170639.jpg

Front left (Gg) 290ppm-6.5ph

Front right (Gg) 320ppm-6.7ph

Back right (Gg) [least happy] 220ppm-7.1ph20180327_163547.jpg

Back left (Pineapple) 243ppm-6.8ph

Front right and back left seem happiest but they all have lower leaf "clawing"

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
No worries and sorry for any confusion but at least we have narrowed it down so you should be good after a few waterings with plain water.

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
6 tablespoons per pot should do it :)
I will make it so when its time :) All of them seem to have perked up since i watered them until i saw runoff yesterday. I also had let them dry out the most i ever have before so i believe I'm going to make that a habit. It could be that I was keeping them too wet and that was compounding the other issues.

What are your thoughts on water temps @Sunshine? I've mainly given them luke warm or very slightly cold water but I read someone's grow advice in a different forum and their anecdotal advice was to provide plants with cold water if you mean to mimic nature.

Is this hearsay?

Do you give your girls cold drinks or warm?

Back