Question Newbie. Lost 3 seeds. Strugling

Lisa2265

Nov 26, 2021
Hey y’all. New York grower. Failing miserably. Sprouted pibe apple express, blue dream
And orange sherbert . All but one still thriving. Don’t know what I did wrong. Frustrated. Trying to find clones near me. Thought maybe I’d start that way. Light good, soil is ocean forest, sprouting seed in filtered water, then plastic baggy with paper towel. Once it has some root growth, placing in soil on heat may. 18/6 light.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Any leads on clones or fresh seeds near me
In Long Island would be great!
Thanks everyone in advance..

Attachments

• 91F122C5-274E-49D0-8AD7-93753389F62F.jpeg
    91F122C5-274E-49D0-8AD7-93753389F62F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • B380C5F2-37EF-4580-85EE-731EB29880DB.jpeg
    B380C5F2-37EF-4580-85EE-731EB29880DB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

Maddawger

Oct 11, 2021
Could be a few things happening other than soil so if you had some pics of all of the seedlings we could advise better on whats going on.

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
🤠 go to 24 hr on light until you are ready to flower they need lots of light than when flowering stage go to 12x12 get rid of the glass and you can use tap water if the PH is good around a 6.5 works best also you will have to wait until you receive your PM area or your envelope seed trading can not be done on here it will be a few days until you receive your envelope Welcome to FC and good luck 🧙‍♂️

S

Slothman

What kind of light are you using? And what kind of soil?? Do you keep the glass over top of the plant all the time??

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
🤠 ARKNOAH 1500W High Power LED Grow Light with 8 Bands Full Spectrum Color Ratio for Indoor Plants Veg and Flowering in Greenhouse and Hydroponics (White) sold on Amazon also i purchased 3 new 1000w from amazon they are white i use 2 to 3 lights per tent here you can go to my site and hopely you will find an answer to a few questions. there are 32 pages of info their welcome 🧙‍♂️
First Grow - Afghani & White Widow LED Tent

mvc-011s-jpg.6139
mvc-010s-jpg.6138

Last edited:
L

Lisa

Could be a few things happening other than soil so if you had some pics of all of the seedlings we could advise better on whats going on.
I just have the one left . The orange sherbert came up beautifully, but then bent over and withered up. I thought it was lacking humidity becasue where I am growing is one about 32%. So I put the cup over. The. Removed cup to let fan blow a bit on them and the next thing I know it’s over and stem crushed
And the blue dream just never sprouted. So I have one Pineapple Express doing ok. And I just now but in a DeeLite to germinate.

L

Lisa

What kind of light are you using? And what kind of soil?? Do you keep the glass over top of the plant all the time??
I’m using a 1000w led 3x3 light set at 18/6. About 22 inches from plant. No I remove the cup from the ola t to let the fan blow a bit on it to strengthen up the stems.

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
🤠 on new plants leave it on 24 X 7 and lower it to 12" for a couple weeks than you can raise it as you need and i myself use Miracle Gro from walmart for the past 3 or so years and have had great success . also lisa we would love you to join FC 🧙‍♂️

Last edited:
S

Slothman

For future grows,try taking the cup off once the seed has sprouted and grown one set of leaves. Try not to overwater,overwatering causes lots of issues with plants not sprouting or sprouting and then dying.

Not sure how much you water but it could be the issue. I've sprouted seeds and grown them in low humidity (20 %) and didn't have any problems. The only times I've had problems starting plants or getting them to grow fast or grow at all was when I was overwatering them

The heat mat they sit on could also be putting out too much heat,some warmth is good but if they are overwatered and are too warm,it will cause problems.

Do you know what the usual temperature is in your growing space??

You might be able to skip the heat mat and grow without. I never use a heat mat and never use a humidity dome or cup and have low humidity in my grow space.....no problems getting them started.

Maddawger

Oct 11, 2021
After reading this a few times..
You stated off good germinating your seeds. (We can rule out that your seeds were not good enough to sprout) I typically wait to plant germinated seeds in my medium until the tap root is 1/4 to 1/2 long.
Touching the seedling can cause issues to arise that can or will kill your seedling so I typically prepare my soil and poke a small hole in the soil then position the germinated seed so I can slide/drop the seedling into the little hole so that the tap root is facing down and the seed is sitting just below the surface about 1/8 inch or so. Sometimes the germinated seed will not fall/slide into position correctly so I very very patiently figure out a way to move the germinated seed around so that it is positioned correctly. If needed you can very gently use a tweezers to grasp the seed shell only, making sure not to crush or damage the seedling. Lightly dust the top your grow medium about 1/8 of an inch. Just enough so the the seedling is covered a little bit from the light. Pick up the cup/pot that you have planted in a few times to get a good feel for the weight of the cup/pot with no water added. I use a 4" pot but you can use whatever works for you.

This is where it gets a little complicated. Seedlings need water, oxygen and light and a good environmental temperature (70-80 degrees) 75 to 78 seems to 🐝the sweet spot for my environment to thrive. With that said there is a delicate balance between water and oxygen. To much water and the seedling will not get oxygen slump over and possible die. Remember, less is better. You can fix an under watered seedling by giving it a little water but you cannot easily fix an over watered seedling. Your medium just has to be moist not super wet for the seedling to thrive.
I use a handheld pump sprayer Homedepot handheld sprayer.jpgfrom the depot and lightly mist the top of the soil. I find it helps me control the amount of water better when planting seedling. I have found my newly planted germinated seeds break the soil in a day or two or three. The seeds I received from BrotherRandall and Geechijesus all broke the surface within 24 hours. Thanks again guys for the great genetics.

You will find many different ways to proceed from this point as we all have developed our own processes that work for us. I will tell you what I have found works for me. I used to put my seedlings under a 450W LED at the manufactures suggested height or a bit higher. I have discovered that the shop light from sams club for $20 (Honeywell 5000 Lumen 4' LED Metal Shop Light) Honeywell 5000 Lumen 4' LED Metal Shop Light.jpg works wonderfully and only consumes an amazing low 50 watts of energy. You will not believe what this light can do. Oh ya! be careful as this light can burn your plants if it is to close. The light cycle I have found to work form me is 18/6. You will just need to dial in the light distance for your grow environment so your plants don't stretch to much and also don't burn from from light. I use 18 inches but your environment may differ slightly. Just watch your plants and adjust if needed.

This is what I have found to work for me.

I noticed you are using Ocean Forrest (FFOF)for plating your seedlings. Fox Farms recommends LIGHT WARRIOR® SEED STARTER soil. I have used their Happy frog (FFHF) with great results. I have read that the FFOF can possibly burn young plants but have no experience putting seedling into FFOF. Just a thought!

I hope this helps and we see some great plant pics from you in the future.

Last edited:

Back