Ordered Northern Lights Auto from Nirvana

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
This is my first grow and I'll be glad if you guys can help me out :)
Thinking of an outdoor balcony grow on a pot.
How do I start off with the germination?
The seeds are arriving in a month and I've got :
  • Some potted mint companion plants
  • 5kg Coco coir, 3kg vermicompost, perlite 1kg, neem cake and bone meal.
Do I need anything else to boost quality?
The floor is tiled, so might need more cooling?
I'll be growing one plant at a time to keep the smell under wraps, so can you guys suggest some other plants helpful to grow alongside the NL auto?

Varinaut

Jun 14, 2020
Just saw this and am surprised you didn't get any help, although, other than germination, it's not clear what your question is. You've listed a few of your purchases, but you obviously need more for a successful grow.

Here's a link to the Grower's Bible download. It should have answers to most of your questions, but come back if you need help interpreting what you read.

DanrockOG

Aug 11, 2020
I'll be growing one plant at a time to keep the smell under wraps, so can you guys suggest some other plants helpful to grow alongside the NL auto?
Hello there !!! Best wishes on your new grow.
I hope you ll get some red sand or good garden sand for the mix and also use some sea weed fertilizer to improve your potting mix. Naturally Indian soil is fertile and that's a gift !!

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
Just saw this and am surprised you didn't get any help, although, other than germination, it's not clear what your question is. You've listed a few of your purchases, but you obviously need more for a successful grow.

Here's a link to the Grower's Bible download. It should have answers to most of your questions, but come back if you need help interpreting what you read.

Thanks for the guide! I'll give it a quick read.
The seeds have not yet yet reached, so running trials on bagseeds...

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
Hello there !!! Best wishes on your new grow.
I hope you ll get some red sand or good garden sand for the mix and also use some sea weed fertilizer to improve your potting mix. Naturally Indian soil is fertile and that's a gift !!
Yess! Did mix 20% Garden soil from my backyard which is rich in life!
Thinking of getting mycorrhizae and seaweed fertilizer too.

Also do you think it is possible to grow Indian landrace in a balcony/terrace grow? Keeping its size under control without root locking it is the main concern here..

DanrockOG

Aug 11, 2020
Yess! Did mix 20% Garden soil from my backyard which is rich in life!
Thinking of getting mycorrhizae and seaweed fertilizer too.

Also do you think it is possible to grow Indian landrace in a balcony/terrace grow? Keeping its size under control without root locking it is the main concern here..
I've grown landraces for more than 3 yrs ?before. But not in balcony. You need to mainline and train your plant to grow low. You can keep it short upto 3feet with lots of branches. In my experience it will take up to 7-9 months for a good harvest.

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
I've grown landraces for more than 3 yrs ?before. But not in balcony. You need to mainline and train your plant to grow low. You can keep it short upto 3feet with lots of branches. In my experience it will take up to 7-9 months for a good harvest.
Oops that means I have to find a nice spot to guerilla grow it after it passes the seedling stage. Any idea when it might finish flowering since autumn is almost here and the light cycle slowly becomes 12/12 with lesser and lesser daylight? So by definition it should be behaving like an autoflower :3

DanrockOG

Aug 11, 2020
Oops that means I have to find a nice spot to guerilla grow it after it passes the seedling stage. Any idea when it might finish flowering since autumn is almost here and the light cycle slowly becomes 12/12 with lesser and lesser daylight? So by definition it should be behaving like an autoflower :3
I've started at summer means March and ended at October. Anyways you can start now too.

ranban

May 7, 2020

Few other great places to get the information you're looking for.

Toasted

Jun 4, 2020
I just saw this...I havent been online much as of late, but have a ton of experience with your very situation..

I've grown a ton of Autos..

A few things...

1. Autos are not like photoperiod plants...best results..20+ hrs of light per day.
2. Plant In pot you intend to finish them in..Do not do a Solo cup or whatever and attempt to transplant into larger pot down the road...more than likely..you will stunt them.
3. First Grow...I would recommend a basic soil mix that you find at most garden centres ..trying to manage nutrients etc your first grow is just more moving parts..that said, when you get into the flowering phase with
soil you will still use nutrients.. :)
4. The reason longer light hours are so important in that your auto will begin to flower in 3-6 weeks whether you are ready or not...You need to build that structure fast! If not you'll have something that looks like a 10" bud at the end of your grow..

Those are some basic and necessary tips for Autos

Lastly re: germination...everyone has their own way, but the tried, tested and true...papertowel method is Golden!

Get a piece of paper towel..wet with ordinary tap water...ideally pH level around 6.5..squeeze the crap out of it so their is almost not residual water in it..lightly damp no dripping..too wet and your seeds will rot! Put seeds in wrapped up paper towel and put in a ziploc bag..in a dark spot in the house..not too hot..min..70-75F
Usually around 2-3 days it'll sprout..then put pot, careful not to put too deep..no more than 2-3 times depth seed size..root point down..good luck

Light water for next few days...VERY light water just around seed area..dont water the crap out of it! Don't let it get too dry either..As it begins to grow water more..Over watering is one of the
Biggest mistakes new growers make!

Here are a couple of snaps of my NL Auto grown outdoors..nothing like you would expect for an Auto..

Attachments

• F5F30426-CD69-4C89-ACF2-E09E3E94265E.jpeg
    F5F30426-CD69-4C89-ACF2-E09E3E94265E.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 266
  • D39D9392-4FDD-4338-A713-36626545106A.jpeg
    D39D9392-4FDD-4338-A713-36626545106A.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 235

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?I have grown Autos and Regulars and I grow them the same way I gave them both 12 X 12 light and night and they had no problem plus I used same potting soil and my ground fish and my other neutrinos with no problems I have never went for that expensive soils and such and I seem do ok part of my stash, :mask:

MVC-011S.JPG

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
I've not received my seeds yet. Seeds are tough to get here. ?
I think I've stocked up on grow knowledge and now it's time to apply.
Hence playing around with some landrace bagseeds ??

Last edited:

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
So the seeds did finally arrive 2 weeks back!
Set one up but I killed it in a very careless manner in order to check on the seedling.

Went for a second try with another one, but I guess I have a stretchy seedling problem. Can light leaks be the issue? I'm trying to do a balcony grow here but there's a streetlight right outside my balcony which might be the culprit lol.
Hid the pot behind a pillar which shadows the seedling at night, but will this be troublesome?

Any pointers? First time hybrid seed grower here ?

Attachments

• 16059490672502266959260621384224.jpg
    16059490672502266959260621384224.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 190
  • 16059490881093672569453738515334.jpg
    16059490881093672569453738515334.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 161

Colamaker

Oct 8, 2020
Plants stretch
So the seeds did finally arrive 2 weeks back!
Set one up but I killed it in a very careless manner in order to check on the seedling.

Went for a second try with another one, but I guess I have a stretchy seedling problem. Can light leaks be the issue? I'm trying to do a balcony grow here but there's a streetlight right outside my balcony which might be the culprit lol.
Hid the pot behind a pillar which shadows the seedling at night, but will this be troublesome?

Any pointers? First time hybrid seed grower here ?
When there is not enough light plants will stretch.
Plants are trying to get closer to the source. Especially during seedling stage.

Colamaker

Oct 8, 2020
Germination. People have there set ways. Some have good results with the paper towel technique. But I and many growers feel especially autos that the paper towel technique is not the best way to start your autos especially waiting for a root to pop. Stressing its life right from the get go.. I have had near 100% germination by soaking seed until it sinks. Then put in soil not deep and lightly pack a little soil over top. Water lightly near seed area and put a plastic clear cup with air vents on top. Bring light down to 18 to 20 inches and dim to 25%. Once sprouted usually 3 days I pull cup out and raise light to 24" and raise dimmer to 75% for a week then 100% after that. Once it's in flowering I lower light to 18" and start giving bloom nuts at much less than manufacturer suggested. Make sure keep checking light and plant height they grow fast. Keep 18"from top . No real light cycle on autos. 18 to 20 on 5 to 6 off. Doing a 12/12 on a auto will greatly reduce yields. They need light as the ruderalas is wild and grows in areas that receives alot of daylight and not much night.

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
Germination. People have there set ways. Some have good results with the paper towel technique. But I and many growers feel especially autos that the paper towel technique is not the best way to start your autos especially waiting for a root to pop. Stressing its life right from the get go.. I have had near 100% germination by soaking seed until it sinks. Then put in soil not deep and lightly pack a little soil over top. Water lightly near seed area and put a plastic clear cup with air vents on top. Bring light down to 18 to 20 inches and dim to 25%. Once sprouted usually 3 days I pull cup out and raise light to 24" and raise dimmer to 75% for a week then 100% after that. Once it's in flowering I lower light to 18" and start giving bloom nuts at much less than manufacturer suggested. Make sure keep checking light and plant height they grow fast. Keep 18"from top . No real light cycle on autos. 18 to 20 on 5 to 6 off. Doing a 12/12 on a auto will greatly reduce yields. They need light as the ruderalas is wild and grows in areas that receives alot of daylight and not much night.

For now, I'm focusing on an outdoor balcony grow. I live very near the tropic of cancer and I'll say we recieve 11 hrs of good sunlight now.
It started being cloudy from yesterday, and thus conditions are on mother nature's hands lol.
I did soak the seeds overnight and then stuffed it in the pot with a bit of soil packed on top. Germination went smoothly till I find the fella stretching for light.
Makes me wanna get an indoor grow setup asap I guess haha.

If things go south, I might have to re-pot the small plant deeper real carefully.

the_void

Jul 29, 2020
For now, I'm focusing on an outdoor balcony grow. I live very near the tropic of cancer and I'll say we recieve 11 hrs of good sunlight now.
It started being cloudy from yesterday, and thus conditions are on mother nature's hands lol.
I did soak the seeds overnight and then stuffed it in the pot with a bit of soil packed on top. Germination went smoothly till I find the fella stretching for light.
Makes me wanna get an indoor grow setup asap I guess haha.
I'll bet autos would grow well outdoors in the summers here though!

Back