Pineapple Muffins Ripe

Canadan

Jan 29, 2020
My Pineapple Muffin clone is ready for harvest only 40 days in flower. The malted barley trick sure worked for this baby. I wish you could smell the sweet pineapple smell from this one. At least 30 good bud sites on her and the nugs are rock solid with no signs of mold im pretty happy with this plant.4B0A3850-96C0-43C2-B80B-A8E2CBE7C91A copy.jpg9DFDE633-E3EA-4729-A8A5-809897C8485F copy.jpg07580F49-E5B5-4DE5-BD84-52B3F0753C95 copy.jpg

LabRat

Aug 22, 2021
My Pineapple Muffin clone is ready for harvest only 40 days in flower. The malted barley trick sure worked for this baby. I wish you could smell the sweet pineapple smell from this one. At least 30 good bud sites on her and the nugs are rock solid with no signs of mold im pretty happy with this plant.View attachment 17418View attachment 17419View attachment 17420

Have you scoped the trichs as she looks to me like she might have a ways to go before chopping. Hard to tell but I like to see all cloudy trichs with maybe a light scattering of amber for THC prime time. Little earlier for CBD strains.

Really nice plant! goodwork.gif

☮️

Canadan

Jan 29, 2020
Oh ya they are cloudy with a touch of amber. They will also amber up while hanging. I took the tops off today and im letting the buds that were hidden under the canopy a little more time still seeing a few white hairs but she will brown up quick. I figure at least a half of pound is hanging so sticky with very little mold. My growing partner chopped his last week. Earliest plant I've had yet and I've been growing for over 40 years. I have a lemongrass thats almost ready too and thats a 65 day flower period. The pineapple is a 50 day flower period. The other 2 plants are still a month away. Cant really explain why these 2 are early maybe stress from heat but I know that malted barley works for speeding up the budding process because it worked last year for me

LabRat

Aug 22, 2021
You fertilize with the malted barley? I grew my first buds in '78 and never heard of something like that or anything really that shortens the flowering period. Lots of stuff that makes the buds bigger and adds more resin but taking significant time off the flowering nada.

Always up for trying new tricks tho. This old dog can still learn 'em. :)

☮️

Canadan

Jan 29, 2020
I first heard of it from a podcast on KIS Organics and Tad was interviewing Clacamas Coot and I've been following his soil regimen and I have making my own worm castings from his own advice on how to feed the worms properly to make the best castings that are part of the soil mix and he has quite a good talk about malted barley and that it sped up his flowering time. He has been growing the same plant for years and when he tried using malted barley as part of his feeding schedule the plant was flowering out earlier for him. He is quite the pioneer on organic growing and a big anti chemical advocate since he has been around for years and he was part of the hippy scene in the 60s. If you haven't heard of him I would encourage anyone to give him a listen and decide for yourself but my grows are way better from following some of his advice than before he is very informative and best thing of all is that his advice is free.

PirateJoe

Dec 10, 2020
I first heard of it from a podcast on KIS Organics and Tad was interviewing Clacamas Coot and I've been following his soil regimen and I have making my own worm castings from his own advice on how to feed the worms properly to make the best castings that are part of the soil mix and he has quite a good talk about malted barley and that it sped up his flowering time. He has been growing the same plant for years and when he tried using malted barley as part of his feeding schedule the plant was flowering out earlier for him. He is quite the pioneer on organic growing and a big anti chemical advocate since he has been around for years and he was part of the hippy scene in the 60s. If you haven't heard of him I would encourage anyone to give him a listen and decide for yourself but my grows are way better from following some of his advice than before he is very informative and best thing of all is that his advice is free.
I am going to research that podcast. Thanks for the info. Part of my organic mix is spent malted barley. My son and I brew beer once a month and after the runnings I take all grains to the garden. It’s full of enzymes and proteins. Natural sugars for your plants. All your complex sugars are broken down from the conversions and turned into micronutrients in a liquid form. Great worm food!

LabRat

Aug 22, 2021

I've been a hydro guy mainly since '82 and especially after I moved up north in '01 and did about 50 DWC grows since then. Haven't done one for about 4 years now but was feeding hydro nutes in soilless ProMix HP since. The last couple of years I've been swinging towards the organic side and learning more about the soil web. My outdoor autos got 95% organic and grew great. We have lots of chickens on our 7.5 acres and have 3 big compost heaps going so I used a bunch of that from the oldest pile plus store bought manures and lots of other goodies. Big dose of DynoMyco to add some extra life to the soil tho there's lots from our stuff. Same kind of soil mix in the same spot as last year but pretty much doubled the volume in an 8x8' plot. Going bigger next year and further out from the house as trees block the morning sun for a good hour or two and the chicken coop also shadows it a couple hours in the evening. We get 20 hour days here in the summer and they were losing out bad. 20 hour nights in the winter too. :(

So what is it you do with the malted barley to get it to your plants and do you malt your own?

I just asked the wife and she does have some barley in all those sacks of grain piled up in the carport. Hmmmm . . .

☮️

Canadan

Jan 29, 2020
I add 1 cup of malted barley seed (two row ) from the beer supply store its cheap per cu/ft of my soils mixture when I make it. I grind it up just before im ready to use it. During my 14 day feed schedule I add 1/4 cup per gal of grind malted barley plus 1/8 of a cup of kelp meal per gal of water ( I make 5 Gal ) and aerate it for 24 hrs and that gets fed to the plants a gallon each during the whole growth cycle. Do not use spent barley grains according to Coot just use the two row barley seed and don't grind till you are ready to use it. The short summers we have in Northern Ontario 10 days ahead of schedule really makes a difference and the Pineapple plant I have has a 45 day bud time and for a photo thats as good as it gets . I figure that I have at least a LB of bud of of that plant. Just give Coot a listen he is quite the lad and he talks all about the reason why barley grains work but his real passion is the amount of work and money he puts into his compost worms to make the soil work thats the secret !!!

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
My Pineapple Muffin clone is ready for harvest only 40 days in flower. The malted barley trick sure worked for this baby. I wish you could smell the sweet pineapple smell from this one. At least 30 good bud sites on her and the nugs are rock solid with no signs of mold im pretty happy with this plant.View attachment 17418View attachment 17419View attachment 17420
🤠i believe i would let it go for another 10 days i believe 50 to 70 days are the magical grow numbers in flowering🧙‍♂️

Canadan

Jan 29, 2020
I have 1/3 of the plant still growing just to see the difference just because I have so much and the trichomes are almost all amber. This plant is out of the ordinary because the other 3 are right on schedule for ripeness at least a couple of weeks or more anyways. Yes the magic number is usually 55 to 65 days for me every year some of the sativa dominant strains even into October. I will have some pics of the others in a couple weeks.

Madhippie

Nov 27, 2021
Oh ya they are cloudy with a touch of amber. They will also amber up while hanging. I took the tops off today and im letting the buds that were hidden under the canopy a little more time still seeing a few white hairs but she will brown up quick. I figure at least a half of pound is hanging so sticky with very little mold. My growing partner chopped his last week. Earliest plant I've had yet and I've been growing for over 40 years. I have a lemongrass thats almost ready too and thats a 65 day flower period. The pineapple is a 50 day flower period. The other 2 plants are still a month away. Cant really explain why these 2 are early maybe stress from heat but I know that malted barley works for speeding up the budding process because it worked last year for me
You say that your trichomes will ripen as they dry?? I always thought that whenever you chop it stops that process??

Canadan

Jan 29, 2020
The buds still ripen even after they are cut down. This is part of the curing process and yes if the buds are in the cloudy trichome stage they will amber up a little bit when they are hanging. Now if they are picked too early clear trichomes i can't see that happening. In fact when the buds are cured and in jars they will continue to cure even frozen. I freeze my buds in vacuum sealed jars and they are just as fresh as the day I froze them after a year in the freezer. I had Holy Grail 69 frozen for a year and a half took out my last ounce and made 4grams of rosin out of it. Guess what I am saying is wait till the trics are all cloudy before you chop the plant if possible . This has been my experience anyway and the pics look like they are early but they aren't thats why the 420 scope is what i use as my guide when the buds are ripe.

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
You say that your trichomes will ripen as they dry?? I always thought that whenever you chop it stops that process??

🤠 In the final stages of a plant’s bloom cycle, a crucial factor when preserving trichomes is to harvest at the right time. With the help of an inexpensive magnifying glass, you can identify the color of a trichome’s glandular dome to help determine the perfect time to harvest . When trichomes are clear and translucent, they are not ready yet and are still producing valuable cannabinoids. As they begin to lose opacity and turn milky white, this is an indication that your plants are almost ready to go During their change from clear to opaque to amber, trichomes reach their maximum THC content. After that, they begin to break down due to exposure to oxygen and UV rays . For maximum resin production and potency, harvesting when trichomes have moved from milky white to an amber hue is key. Like fruits, trichomes are at their peak of flavor just before they turn. As the color moves into a predominately amber shade, this should be a strong indicator that the trichomes have reached the apex of their development cycle. so when they are harvested they will QUIT PRODUCING so when you chop it stops the process YES Madhippie you are right it stops that process . 🧙‍♂️

SlowGrower

Jan 24, 2022
Interesting on it ripening faster but since it ready in 40 days, doesn't that mean you're losing yield? That's 20ish days of sun it isn't getting where it can swell and put on more weight?

Back