Plant problem. Need help

Vpark

Jun 5, 2019
Hi guys can anyone identify the problem.
Underside of the leaves and young stems turning purple . After the older leaves turn yellow with brown spots and eventually dry up and die. See picture7903

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Welcome to FC @Vpark :)
This could be a few things so answering a few questions will help us narrow things down for you.
What have you been feeding the plant and how often?
How much do you water and how regularly?
What are your max and min temperatures?
Can you tell some more about your setup? lights used, size of box etc
The blotches you see are deficiencies, these could be caused by ph problems, overwatering or cold temps or a combination of these factors.
In all likelihood it's a result of overwatering but let us know the answers to the above and we'll help you get her back on track! ?

Vpark

Jun 5, 2019
So I'm growing in 4x8 tent
Using Remo nutrients
Hlg 550 r-spec led
I have over watered the plant in its first week of veg.
Now watering once every 3-4 days
With 3/4 of the recommended dose .
just enough to let a little run out the bottom.
Using pro mix for a medium
Water ph 5.5-6
The plant is black dog from humbold seeds.
Temp is 80 degrees
My humidity flactuates between 35-50
Hard to keep stable
Ps. I'm flushing the plant now with just water ph 5.7

Thanks

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Thanks for the info @Vpark ?
When you flush, can you test the ph of the runoff?
Are you ph'g after you've added the nutrients to the solution?

Vpark

Jun 5, 2019
Yes I test the pH after I add the nutrients.
But haven't tested the run off.
Thanks. Is there anything else I should watch out for meanwhile?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Give her extra time between waterings to allow the roots to breathe, also cut to about 1/2 strength nutes until she's back to full health! Report back with the runoff figures and let's go from there ?
Good luck and keep us posted Vpark :)

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Your ph is out of range which is causing lock out.
It's important to understand the ph of your medium by measuring the runoff ph and adjusting your inputs to compensate for the difference.
Nutrient_Chart2.gif

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
? Hi Vpark your plant to me looks big enough to place it to a larger pot it could be a bit root bound I don't know what larger size you will be going to, I myself use a 7 gal pot and water every 5 to 7 days 1 gal plus I water until it runs out it is a lot easier to control your watering in a larger pot I also use a moisture meter and keep it around a 5 to 6 moisture on the scale I try to keep my ph around 6 to 6.5 as Sunshine said ph is the goal to a good growth and Sunshine is the Wizard ?‍♂️ also when you use a saucer for drainage it is easier to get a runoff ph reading as sunshine says keep in touch we are always on here just about every day Welcome to FC check out the indoor forum at Sunshines grow it looks like the Amazon.? PS where about is your location Texas USA here. :cool:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
You got it @Vpark. This means ph at the roots is probably between 3 and 4 which is very acidic.
Ph your water (with nutes) to 7 which should give you a run off of 5.8-6.
Good luck and keep is posted ?
Run off ph 4.8
water + nutrients ph was 5.9
So a little higher in the water ph next time ?

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
? if they are dead yes I have a fairly good report on leaves on my forum indoor grow page #4 #65 ( first grow afghan+white widow led tent ) if you have time read this before you do any thing. glad you are getting better ph keep it up and keep the updates coming.?

Last edited:

Vpark

Jun 5, 2019
Hi guys .
Seems like I got the ph to a better lever
Last run off ph was 5.5 will keep moving it up till I get to 5.9
Growth restarted seeing vigorous growth since the last watering two days ago .
Still getting purple leaves and stems and some drying out .see pics.
Also seeing some clawing on leaves tips .

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help.

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
?claws sometimes show that the plant is in to much heat do they have brown tips. do you have a fan around plant for circulation the air always need to be moving. I see you are in a tent and tents get pretty warm.
:grinning:

Vpark

Jun 5, 2019
No brown tips
Canopy temp is at 77-81
So I don't think it's heat stress
I have a fan directed at the plant
And I give the pot a half turn every few days

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Hey @Vpark :)
The main problems presenting at the moment are that the soil is too acid and the soil is too wet ie you need to let the pot dry more between waterings. I do appreciate that your ph correcting flushings are the main reason for the current excess moisture.
But... the underlying question is- why is your soil ph so low in the first place? have you used ericaceous compost? what brand did you buy? can you post a link?
Did you add anything to the soil in the way of amendments? (other than perlite and vermiculite)

Back