Cannabis Cultivation Network

Learn How To Grow Top Shelf Medicine at Home

Register Ask Question

Question Pot size for indoor plants

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
That's a good start. I'd add some more perlite to the foxfarm for improved drainage (about 1 part perlite to 4 parts fox farm) ;)
What light are you going to be using and what size is your grow area/tent/cabinet? :idea:

R

rookie1

Thread starter #5
just one in a 2 in square for now grow space is 26 by 12 and got 2 t5 24in lights
I have a 250 hps when they grow bigger

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
I'd go with a 5gallon pot, that way you'll have plenty of space to grow decent roots which will support a good yield :)
Make sure you have plenty of holes at the bottom of your pot for drainage, add a decent amount of perlite to your fox farm and avoid over watering (get a cheap moisture probe/meter) and avoid over fertilising and you will have a great harvest! :sun:

Uncle_Al

Seasoned Grower
Hey 5 gallon pot is way too big for a first transplant. That should be the last one. Something more like 2-3 liters is healthier, the plant will be happier 5 gallon will be too wet for too long

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Hey 5 gallon pot is way too big for a first transplant. That should be the last one. Something more like 2-3 liters is healthier, the plant will be happier 5 gallon will be too wet for too long
I'm definitely on the other side of the fence on this one. I always start straight in the final container (with the exception of clones for practicality), this removes any physical limiting factors ie the walls of a smaller pot impeding the roots, it also eliminates any stress from repotting which I deem entirely unnecessary. For me it's seed to harvest in the final container, no tissues no repotting, as in nature.
With regard to over watering, this is mitigated by simply watering with less, for example using a small cup instead of a bottle, when the plant is bigger volume of water increases in line with this, in addition using a generous amount of perlite to create a nice light airy mix makes over watering virtually impossible meaning the plants can concentrate on growing the largest root system in conjuction with the mycos from the very beginning, colonising the entire pot :sun:

brexit

If you want to have a good harvest from one plant, you need to give it enough nutritions and lights (i wish I could get such advice when I just began to grow my first plant)
As for light, what you need now is artificial light such as HID, HPS and LED grow light
LED grow light is the newest generation of grow lighs, having advantages compared with HID and LED
1.LED is more efficient, it can save about 30% engergy , compared with HID or HPS
2.the spectrums are good, always full spectrum, with higher red and blue lights, which are good for photosynthesis, helping your cannabis grow faster
3. in nature, about the heat, what plants like is the energy carried by solar light. The energy contains heat.
If we give cannabis the light they desire, the energy is enough for them to grow
Actually, too much heat is not good, it may burn the leaves of the plants
4. thus comes the 4th advantage, LED will not generate much heat and always comes with a self-cooling system. You do not need to equip with much cooling system in your growing area
In the market, many brands of LED grow light, and many conterfeits of big brand
Anyways, good luck to you. Everyone loves some good homegrown

JohnnyBunz

I'm definitely on the other side of the fence on this one. I always start straight in the final container (with the exception of clones for practicality), this removes any physical limiting factors ie the walls of a smaller pot impeding the roots, it also eliminates any stress from repotting which I deem entirely unnecessary. For me it's seed to harvest in the final container, no tissues no repotting, as in nature.
With regard to over watering, this is mitigated by simply watering with less, for example using a small cup instead of a bottle, when the plant is bigger volume of water increases in line with this, in addition using a generous amount of perlite to create a nice light airy mix makes over watering virtually impossible meaning the plants can concentrate on growing the largest root system in conjuction with the mycos from the very beginning, colonising the entire pot :sun:
This is exactly what I did. I went straight from my biodegradable seed pots straight to the 5 gallon fabric pots and look at where I am now. No overwatering, and the leaves just keep pointing straight up. Loving it.