Question SCROG material help

Natea

Oct 26, 2022
I have never used a scrog screen but I might try this next grow. The problem is every picture I see of other's scrog nets are really loose and don't seem really supporting to me. I was wondering about a good semi rigid materiel or maybe a site that sells decent ones for a reasonable price. Any suggestions?

Ras Mountain

Jul 9, 2020
Polypropylene twine is an excellent material for tying SCROG nets. It's stong enough, resists weather and yet does not cut the plant (or your hands).

Tracker

Oct 15, 2021
Are you growing in a tent? Do you have a structure to anchor the net, or do you have to make a structure?

You can find good nets on amazon that are stretchy and are sized for common tent sizes. Just anchor to the poles and pull them tight enough to support the buds. 2 nets, upper and lower, can be useful for when the flowers start putting on weight.

If you are building a structure, you can use pvc pipe or wood to make a frame, and use mason line or some other string to make a net on the frame with whatever spacing you want.

LabRat

Aug 22, 2021
I've done a lot of ScroGs even with DWC and always used sheep fencing wire with no rigid frame. If you are doing a real ScroG were you are tying down the grow tips horizontally for some time the plant still grows in height and can lift the screen up. I had one that was topped to make 4 nodes that got tied in split the junction open. The plant grew OK but it was very alarming at first.

For my DWC ScroGs I rigged this up so the screen is suspended from the supports with baling wire and can 'float' so the screen lifts up as the main stem of the plant grows in height.

DWCScroG.jpg

This one has 6 plants in pots on a wheeled platform with the screen initially suspended from the ceiling with chains and S hooks which I've been using for my lights and anything else that need hanging and adjustments. Easy-peasy and cheap. The screen is 4x4' and I just cut it with a few inches of wire sticking out around each side so that I could bend the wires around some bamboo stakes cut to size to make a lightweight frame. Once the plants have all been tied into the screen securely the chains from the ceiling can be removed.

ScroGSetup08011903.jpg

After harvest.

ScroGSetup01031903.jpg

Slightly different setup for potted plants. Vertical screen curved for the corner of the room and backed with panda film. Horizontal screen cut to fit curve and ends of it's wire used to connect to the vertical screen and chains at the front for initial support.

Screen.jpg

All sorts of ways to skin this cat.

We have all sorts of wire stuff laying around and scrounged a lot of it from the dump for the wife to build fenced pens for her chickens etc. Not so easy for folks to find when living in the city.

☮️

Natea

Oct 26, 2022
Great replies! I like the look of the weed eater cord, I would wonder if it would cut into the plants as it grows (depending on the type of cord used). I did put hooks into the frame in the tent I use in case I wanted to put one in eventually. The screens I saw on Amazon almost seemed too flexible, but maybe I'm just overthinking things. If I did find metal fencing/cord I wonder how hard it is to remove the plants during harvest. Either way great examples!

LabRat

Aug 22, 2021
Great replies! I like the look of the weed eater cord, I would wonder if it would cut into the plants as it grows (depending on the type of cord used). I did put hooks into the frame in the tent I use in case I wanted to put one in eventually. The screens I saw on Amazon almost seemed too flexible, but maybe I'm just overthinking things. If I did find metal fencing/cord I wonder how hard it is to remove the plants during harvest. Either way great examples!

I tend to crop my plants in stages but if you like to hang branches to dry at harvest that's no problem either. I can just take off the two or three bits of twist tie hold down the ends of the growing branches and cut a whole branch off. I do not weave my branches thru the screen but use short pieces of twist tie to hold them loosely to the wire as they grow then move those pieces from farther back to the front at the grow tip. Once you are well into flowering you can even take those off and the branches don't raise up as they are trained to stay horizontal. Without the weaving if I need to move a branch over to fill a bare space I just take the ties off, reposition the branch and tie it down in the new position.

Most people don't even do a real ScroG. They just have the screen up so the colas don't fall over and most fail at that too. They start the screen at grow tip height before flowering then have to add a 2nd screen after the stretch because the first screen is way to low rendering it useless.

I find I can double my yields with a ScroG over a free-standing plant and then double that again with a DWC ScroG

peace.gif

Natea

Oct 26, 2022
I tend to crop my plants in stages but if you like to hang branches to dry at harvest that's no problem either. I can just take off the two or three bits of twist tie hold down the ends of the growing branches and cut a whole branch off. I do not weave my branches thru the screen but use short pieces of twist tie to hold them loosely to the wire as they grow then move those pieces from farther back to the front at the grow tip. Once you are well into flowering you can even take those off and the branches don't raise up as they are trained to stay horizontal. Without the weaving if I need to move a branch over to fill a bare space I just take the ties off, reposition the branch and tie it down in the new position.

Most people don't even do a real ScroG. They just have the screen up so the colas don't fall over and most fail at that too. They start the screen at grow tip height before flowering then have to add a 2nd screen after the stretch because the first screen is way to low rendering it useless.

I find I can double my yields with a ScroG over a free-standing plant and then double that again with a DWC ScroG

View attachment 21755
Okay, I can see where you are coming from, it makes sense. Yes from what I have read most people don't scrog correctly. Yes I tried to do dwc and failed about every time, so when I switched to Coco coir it was a breath of fresh air, so much more forgiving and the plants usually love it.

LabRat

Aug 22, 2021
Okay, I can see where you are coming from, it makes sense. Yes from what I have read most people don't scrog correctly. Yes I tried to do dwc and failed about every time, so when I switched to Coco coir it was a breath of fresh air, so much more forgiving and the plants usually love it.

I'm doing all my growing in Promix HP with organics for nutrients now. I might toss a little Big Bud in once in a while but it's all manures and dry gaia green type stuff now. DynoMyco added for the myco part.

No coco available anywhere near me and is 2 - 3X the price of HP when I go to the city. I did pick up a big bag of Canna Coco to do a side-by-side grow eventually.

I found DWC a lot easier to do and get great results from than growing in soil. Everything failed with real dirt. I started playing around with soil growing about 3 years ago and outside in the garden had good grows but not as good indoors so still working the kinks out of that. I just went out to bring in bags of EWC and manure before they froze solid but that ship has sailed. They're thawing out in the shop now along with a 107L bale of HP. Still two bales and about a dozen bags of 3 manures out there but freezing won't hurt them. All stocked up for winter growing!

peace.gif

Natea

Oct 26, 2022
I'm doing all my growing in Promix HP with organics for nutrients now. I might toss a little Big Bud in once in a while but it's all manures and dry gaia green type stuff now. DynoMyco added for the myco part.

No coco available anywhere near me and is 2 - 3X the price of HP when I go to the city. I did pick up a big bag of Canna Coco to do a side-by-side grow eventually.

I found DWC a lot easier to do and get great results from than growing in soil. Everything failed with real dirt. I started playing around with soil growing about 3 years ago and outside in the garden had good grows but not as good indoors so still working the kinks out of that. I just went out to bring in bags of EWC and manure before they froze solid but that ship has sailed. They're thawing out in the shop now along with a 107L bale of HP. Still two bales and about a dozen bags of 3 manures out there but freezing won't hurt them. All stocked up for winter growing!

View attachment 21756
Not even Coco bricks at pet stores? I'm not sure if you in the US, but I got 4 bricks for $8 on Amazon. You have to buffer and rinse it, but that's not hard. As far as nutes I am using BlueMax 2 part, and I'm impressed so far.

Back