Skunk#1ibl x SourOG and Adventure mix F3 started

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
Starting to get bushy. Started LST right after I took these photos. They are between 14 and 17 inches from the dirt now. Thinking on switching to 12/12 soon.

Skunk #1 x Sour OG f1 (Sunshines Farm)
20190706_080504.jpg

Adventure mix f3 (Sunshines Farm)
20190706_080306.jpg

Critical Kush (Barneys Farm)
20190706_080132.jpg

Ak47 x White Widow (unknown breeder)
20190706_080655.jpg

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
Thanks guys?
Went to 12/12 14 days ago. Girls are hopefully almost finished stretching. Skunk x Sour OG is 22" now, Critical Kush, 27" and AK x WW has really stretched out to 36" showing off her sativa dominant traits. She Is long and sparse at this point. Lots of room for buds to fill out! Hoping she delivers on yield. The adventure mix turned out to be a male but I didn't have the heart to trash him so he is now outside with my vegetables. He was 1 week into 12/12 when I brought him outside. We have about 15 hrs sunlight now. Not sure if he's going to reveg or not. Plenty of male flowers packing on over the past week. I hope to collect some pollen for select pollination of my girls but I dont want to fully pollinate them so I will need to read up on how to best achieve pollination of just a few select branches. As you can see, I haven't kept up the LST. Not too worried about the height on the AK as long as she settles out soon but I am concerned about the dense canopy of the skunk x OG and Critical kush so I will open them up a bit today.

Adventure mix f3 male (sunshines farm)
20190720_095730.jpg

Skunk #1 x Sour OG f1 (sunshines farm)
20190720_095553.jpg

Critical Kush (barneys farm)
20190720_095628.jpg

Ak47 x White Widow (unknown breeder)
20190720_095446.jpg

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
They look fantastic @Cannada :) Shame it wasn't a girl but very happy to hear you've kept the male Adventure Mix, in a few weeks you should see some trichomes on the male flowers, definitely a good choice for some selective pollination ?
Once you've collected some pollen you can apply it with a small brush or q tip to certain branches (with fans off) then spray the plant with water to prevent unwanted pollination.
Thanks for sharing, they're are coming along really nicely! ?

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
They look fantastic @Cannada :) Shame it wasn't a girl but very happy to hear you've kept the male Adventure Mix, in a few weeks you should see some trichomes on the male flowers, definitely a good choice for some selective pollination ?
Once you've collected some pollen you can apply it with a small brush or q tip to certain branches (with fans off) then spray the plant with water to prevent unwanted pollination.
Thanks for sharing, they're are coming along really nicely! ?
Thanks @Sunshine the adventure mix male is dropping pollen already. I pollinated a couple of branches on each of the girls in the tent. Thanks for the tips. I did it just like that.

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
Thanks @Sunshine. I sure hope so ? fingers crossed for that.

I pollinated a couple of branches on each girl and the pistils are browning out nicely. I may have gotten more pollination than I bargained for, however. I used a small artist brush to gather pollen from the male Adventure mix and carefully (so i thought) brushed the pollen onto the selected branches, then sprayed the plants down well before returning to the tent. However the next plant I pollinated, i decided to use a strong flashlight focused on the branches i was working on. As i gently brushed, small clouds of pollen swirled about the area so I'm pretty sure I will have more seeds than initially planned but thats okay as I was considering making this a seed run anyway. Hopefully will get some decent bud regardless and some new crosses to experiment with!

While I had the plants out, I noticed a couple of tiny bugs scattering on one of the fabric pots and upon close inspection noticed a fair amount of little white spots on many leaves and a lot of very tiny black dots which I'm not sure were eggs or bugs or something else. Whatever they were, i removed every questionable leaf I could find, so the girls have had a major haircut. That was a couple of days ago. The buds were still quite small and only a couple weeks into flower. Since stretch has now slowed and the buds look ready to start bulking, I gave the girls their first bloom feeding along with monster bloom and diamond nectar and they seem to be happier for it although much less bushy of course. With any luck the plants will put all energy into bud development now rather than leaf maintenance/replacement.
I'm always willing to experiment especially since this is all pretty new to me. The timing of this major defoliation being at the tail end of stretch/ beginnings of bud development should help convince/hack the girls into filling out those buds not to mention the 10 fold increase of light and airflow to all bud sites on the plants. I have filtered air blowing into the tent with my 6 inch inline fan which usually shuts off with the timer at lights off but I have started leaving the fan on all through the dark period (dialed down a bit from lights on airflow) to make it harder for any bugs to reproduce. Will be keeping a much closer eye on things from here on out. Here are the latest pics taken this morning. Thanks for the advice as always @Sunshine ??

Adventure mix F3 male
20190727_102220.jpg

AK47 x WW (unknown breeder)
20190727_101714.jpg

Skunk #1 x sour OG (Sunshines Farm)
20190727_092742.jpg

Critical kush (Barneys Farm)
20190727_090618.jpg

Last edited:

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
Turns out my uninvited guests are thrips. Here's a pic of one of the ugly little nasties taken with my usb microscope.
20190728_101521.jpg
I have gone over the plants one more time but this time I took the defoliation further removing all large fan leaves and leaving bud sites mostly untouched. Hopefully these thrips won't take over the little foliage that remains. The AK47xWW was the least affected plant and I wonder if her long strecthy nature (naturally wide open canopy) might have been a large factor as to why the thrips mostly left her alone.... A bit of wishful (hopeful) thinking on my part. I guess the next 5-7 weeks will tell the story.
One last pic update for this week taken this morning after the last and hopefully final defoliation of the skunk and critical kush.

Skunk x sour OG

20190728_132235.jpg

Critical kush
20190728_111314.jpg

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Naked plant alert! :p Good luck getting the thrips under control, I don't envy you there. The closeup with the usb scope is awesome, they certainly are ugly little critters.
Looks like you should still be in for a decent yield, can't wait to see them fill out over the next few weeks.

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
Thanks guys. I hope the bud gods are on my side for this one. i added some beneficial nematodes to the watering tonight. Hopefully they will take care of anything in the soil.
Good to hear you still managed a decent yield @420boss.
Here's to that @Sunshine. I'm still learning tobwork with the usb microscope but it does have a pretty good zoom. That thing was barely visible as a spec to the naked eye.
Cheers @BudMonster.

Last edited:

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
Sorry missed last weeks update. Just finishing up vacation and finally home for a few days.
The girls are looking a bit more respectable now. Frosting and bulking up nicely. Still picking off leaves as necessary to keep the thrips at bay. No major infestation to speak of so far (fingers crossed)
At day 34 so almost a month left for the Skunk/sour OG cross and critical kush. Perhaps a bit longer for the AK47/WW cross as she is definitely sativa leaning. I'm hopeful for a fast finish on her though. This cross seems to generally finish in 50ish days from what I have read. The pollinated sites on all 3 plants are showing seeds now with the skunk lagging behind on seed development. Maybe I pollinated her a bit early..... but there are definitely a few seeds swelling on her at least. Here are some pollinated bud shots. They were pollinated with the Adventure mix male.

20190809_151133.jpg

20190809_150434.jpg

20190809_152330.jpg
And here are the girls this morning.

20190809_142256.jpg

20190809_143610.jpg

20190809_151107.jpg
And the male Adventure Mix f3

20190809_153343.jpg

20190809_153404.jpg

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
They look like they're really thriving @Cannada, despite the pests! ? Looking forward to seeing these beautiful flowers bulk up over the next couple of weeks ?
I bet your tent is smelling amazing right now :)

Cannada

Oct 27, 2018
They look like they're really thriving @Cannada, despite the pests! ? Looking forward to seeing these beautiful flowers bulk up over the next couple of weeks ?
I bet your tent is smelling amazing right now :)
Thanks @Sunshine. Things are getting smelly in here even with my monster carbon filter. The skunk is smelling quite fruity/sweet. Critical kush is a close second smelling fruity as well. Not getting much scent from the ak47 yet .

Back