Problem Spotting leaves

J

Joeb

First time grower in southern Ontario, started these girls in a bay window that get about 12hrs of straight sun in the early spring and more hhrs as it turns to summer. I know its not ideal but they will be outdoor plants and ive read that switching from fake lighting to real shn can affect them. Feeding once to twice a week depending on how much watering is needed and at 1/2 recommend dose. Using advanced nutrients perfect PH trio only as of now. Brown spots have started to develop on both old and new growth with tips turning brown and brown spots appearing everywhere on the leaves. From what i see online it looks almost like cal or mag deficiency but not too sure. Wondering how to correct it before they go outside permenantly. Any advice is useful!!!

Joeb

Apr 19, 2021
First time grower in southern Ontario, started these girls in a bay window that get about 12hrs of straight sun in the early spring and more hhrs as it turns to summer. I know its not ideal but they will be outdoor plants and ive read that switching from fake lighting to real shn can affect them. Feeding once to twice a week depending on how much watering is needed and at 1/2 recommend dose. Using advanced nutrients perfect PH trio only as of now. Brown spots have started to develop on both old and new growth with tips turning brown and brown spots appearing everywhere on the leaves. From what i see online it looks almost like cal or mag deficiency but not too sure. Wondering how to correct it before they go outside permenantly. Any advice is useful!!!
Im awaiting my approval so i can post pics!

Joeb

Apr 19, 2021
Here they are
IMG_20210419_165519.jpg
IMG_20210419_165434.jpg

FloralJem

Mar 19, 2021
Welcome to FC , happy grows.
Yes, looks like cal-mag defficiency.
I used Advanced Nutrients cal-mag before and it worked great for me.
You may start with some hours outside to see how they will react, they will be ok as long as you dont have a storm outside. đź‘Ť

Joeb

Apr 19, 2021
Welcome to FC , happy grows.
Yes, looks like cal-mag defficiency.
I used Advanced Nutrients cal-mag before and it worked great for me.
You may start with some hours outside to see how they will react, they will be ok as long as you dont have a storm outside. đź‘Ť
Thanks, i was looking into getting the cal mag from them. They do go outside on sunny days and are staked so they cant get too rocked by the wind. I've attempted to grow for a few years now with no success because of the effort or lack of.... Actually caring so trying to stay ontop of it

Joeb

Apr 19, 2021
Thanks, i was looking into getting the cal mag from them. They do go outside on sunny days and are staked so they cant get too rocked by the wind. I've attempted to grow for a few years now with no success because of the effort or lack of.... Actually caring so trying to stay ontop of it
IMG_20210419_170722.jpg

FloralJem

Mar 19, 2021
Actually caring so trying to stay ontop of it
Sure needs care and knowledge. More threads you read and follow more control and confidence you will have. You already have some skills as far as I see and they are going pretty well for your conditions. Your soil looked a bit tight to me. If you will transplant them or some, maybe you can add some perlite or some softer soil at the bottom. Roots will not go easy in that kind of soil. Forgive my ignorance if this is some quality soil you have there but it looked like soil from the garden to me.

Joeb

Apr 19, 2021
Sure needs care and knowledge. More threads you read and follow more control and confidence you will have. You already have some skills as far as I see and they are going pretty well for your conditions. Your soil looked a bit tight to me. If you will transplant them or some, maybe you can add some perlite or some softer soil at the bottom. Roots will not go easy in that kind of soil. Forgive my ignorance if this is some quality soil you have there but it looked like soil from the garden to me.
I am doing a final transplant butand am going to go with a bunch of foxfarm soil once its time. I just ran short when filling these and grabbed a bunch of doil from my tomatoe plant garden to fill in

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
You may want to check for mites as this is potentially also a sign of pest damage. You'll need a jewelers loupe or a 60x pocket microscope to see the little buggers if you have them. Keep us posted on your findings. Here is a link for a good cheap one on amazon.

Last edited:

Colamaker

Oct 8, 2020
Yes check for mites. Magnesium/ calcium deficiency will usually start at bottom fan leaves and work its way up. Magnesium deficiency will also have rust spots an also the viens of the leaf will start yellowing. As floraljem said your soil is is to hard you can see dry cracking in it. That alone will cause deficiency in nutrient uptake. When soil is that packed its very hard to control watering and the water will have a hard time getting to the bottom roots and it's like a sponge the water will get absorbed into the soil before it reaches the bottom it will also stay too moist and can cause root rot. Plus you used, used soil from a garden which the soil nutrients were already taken by your plants and if you used any fertilizer on tomatoes plants you could have excess salts in the soil and you might have brought pests in. A very good destroyer of mites and is natural from our earth is diatomaceous earth. Put some in the soil and sprinkle some on top once you get outside. Diatomaceous Earth will not hurt the plant but its like walking on glass to mites and cuts there soft shells and they dehydrate an die. Works on any soft shell mite and nymphs. Fungus gnats grow in the soil and will die trying to come up. Jason is also correct on checking for mites. The rust spots are sporatic. Usually mag/cal deficiency will start at bottom fan leaves. If bottom fan leaves start yellowing then you know you have some kind of deficiency as the plant will suck the nutrients out of the bottom fan leaves to get what it needs and this will keep going up the plant till you correct whats missing. Take the info from our great members on here and cherish it. Most local growers won't give you the time of day as they see you as a threat to their business or they will lie to you to set up and fail. Her is a pic of diatomaceous earth. You can get at animal feed supply stores. It's also good for most farm animals like chickens ect. It good for their intestines and is a great de wormer.
16189163009971944409026297255112.jpg

FloralJem

Mar 19, 2021
Yes check for mites. Magnesium/ calcium deficiency will usually start at bottom fan leaves and work its way up. Magnesium deficiency will also have rust spots an also the viens of the leaf will start yellowing. As floraljem said your soil is is to hard you can see dry cracking in it. That alone will cause deficiency in nutrient uptake. When soil is that packed its very hard to control watering and the water will have a hard time getting to the bottom roots and it's like a sponge the water will get absorbed into the soil before it reaches the bottom it will also stay too moist and can cause root rot. Plus you used, used soil from a garden which the soil nutrients were already taken by your plants and if you used any fertilizer on tomatoes plants you could have excess salts in the soil and you might have brought pests in. A very good destroyer of mites and is natural from our earth is diatomaceous earth. Put some in the soil and sprinkle some on top once you get outside. Diatomaceous Earth will not hurt the plant but its like walking on glass to mites and cuts there soft shells and they dehydrate an die. Works on any soft shell mite and nymphs. Fungus gnats grow in the soil and will die trying to come up. Jason is also correct on checking for mites. The rust spots are sporatic. Usually mag/cal deficiency will start at bottom fan leaves. If bottom fan leaves start yellowing then you know you have some kind of deficiency as the plant will suck the nutrients out of the bottom fan leaves to get what it needs and this will keep going up the plant till you correct whats missing. Take the info from our great members on here and cherish it. Most local growers won't give you the time of day as they see you as a threat to their business or they will lie to you to set up and fail. Her is a pic of diatomaceous earth. You can get at animal feed supply stores. It's also good for most farm animals like chickens ect. It good for their intestines and is a great de wormer. View attachment 15261
Wow that is great information, thanks.

Joeb

Apr 19, 2021
Yes check for mites. Magnesium/ calcium deficiency will usually start at bottom fan leaves and work its way up. Magnesium deficiency will also have rust spots an also the viens of the leaf will start yellowing. As floraljem said your soil is is to hard you can see dry cracking in it. That alone will cause deficiency in nutrient uptake. When soil is that packed its very hard to control watering and the water will have a hard time getting to the bottom roots and it's like a sponge the water will get absorbed into the soil before it reaches the bottom it will also stay too moist and can cause root rot. Plus you used, used soil from a garden which the soil nutrients were already taken by your plants and if you used any fertilizer on tomatoes plants you could have excess salts in the soil and you might have brought pests in. A very good destroyer of mites and is natural from our earth is diatomaceous earth. Put some in the soil and sprinkle some on top once you get outside. Diatomaceous Earth will not hurt the plant but its like walking on glass to mites and cuts there soft shells and they dehydrate an die. Works on any soft shell mite and nymphs. Fungus gnats grow in the soil and will die trying to come up. Jason is also correct on checking for mites. The rust spots are sporatic. Usually mag/cal deficiency will start at bottom fan leaves. If bottom fan leaves start yellowing then you know you have some kind of deficiency as the plant will suck the nutrients out of the bottom fan leaves to get what it needs and this will keep going up the plant till you correct whats missing. Take the info from our great members on here and cherish it. Most local growers won't give you the time of day as they see you as a threat to their business or they will lie to you to set up and fail. Her is a pic of diatomaceous earth. You can get at animal feed supply stores. It's also good for most farm animals like chickens ect. It good for their intestines and is a great de wormer. View attachment 15261
I actually did find mites on them. I got a spray from a friend and actually use DE at work so ive gave the top layer of soil a light coating and done a thorough spray making sure to hit the bottom s of the leaves and will follow up with another spray in about 5 or 6 days. Im hoping that will cover the bug issues..... Now i know, ive dinked up my soil but i did use a rooting agent when i transplanted and the inner mixture of this soil is fox farm soil/ coco mix. The issue is i only transplanted 16 days ago now. Would you recommend essentially transplanting into the same pot with better soil? Or trying to dig out around the edge and replace with better soil? Dealing with the bugs plus a transplant will kill her. Thanks for the knowledge and group support to everyone in the feed. Ive been looking for a good place on advice and im excited to listen and learn

Colamaker

Oct 8, 2020
Yes at this point I would not recommend a transplant. She is probly a little stressed at the mites. Get her happy then do a final transplant.

Joeb

Apr 19, 2021
Yes at this point I would not recommend a transplant. She is probly a little stressed at the mites. Get her happy then do a final transplant.
They are all going into large fabric pots once ready. Im going to put them on skids to keep the bottom from staying too wet. Shes in a 7gal no so im going to let her really grow into it before i make the move