Status update.

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
@Sunshine she's doing well overall, but some of her new growth leaves have slightly pale tips, and I seem to be losing 1 out of every dozen new lower leaves. I wonder if this is natural or indicative of some issue?

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Hello @FerretWrangler What are temps like? How wet/dry is she?
When did this start?
Have you added anything? Even small amount of anything?
Let me know and I'll advise from there :)
It was cold last night for the first time, but it's usually just a little warm in there (around 70ish) now it's around 66 or so. The bottom of the pot is @7/10 and root level is around 3/10. I noticed the new growth had weird light green accents around 3 days ago, and 2 days ago I noticed the ever so slightly pale tips. The young low level leaves that die off are rare, but still disconcerting, and that's been happening slowly since the transplant. The only thing that's ever been added was around 1.5 tablespoons of lime that I top dressed the night after the repot. Her Ph stays at 7.0 to 7.2 generally. Even when it dries out and it goes up a few points it buffers back down when I water her.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Did the compost you used have any fertiliser already in?
First thing I notice is that it sounds a little cooler than ideal, 66 is too cool and will cause problems. I like them 77-82f or 25-28c, you want to keep them warm :idea:
Give her another watering of your 6.6 water and keep her at around 80f and don't add anything :sun:

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Did the compost you used have any fertiliser already in?
First thing I notice is that it sounds a little cooler than ideal, 66 is too cool and will cause problems. I like them 77-82f or 25-28c, you want to keep them warm :idea:
Give her another watering of your 6.6 water and keep her at around 80f and don't add anything :sun:
The peat moss is absolutely barren of fertilizer, I'll give her a watering and get the heater going soon, I'm also going out to get a much better thermometer today hopefully as I feel like mine is inaccurate. Also, I just Ph' d the water I keep sitting out for her and it's at 7.7 I suppose I should run new water? Why would it be more alkaline after having been out for a couple days?

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
At the moment it's definitely the temperature you need to address as a priority, going forwards in the next week or so you want some nutrients in there that aren't going to fry her delicate roots :sun:
Blood meal as a standalone is likely to cause more problems that it will solve.
The ph of the standing water rising is normal. Once you've created living organic soil for your girl you will no longer have to worry about the ph at all :)

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Ideally I'd recommend a tea soak and or a very light top dressing (2 tbsp) with the organic FBB mix I recommended and an increase in temperature to the ideal range ;)
At the moment it's definitely the temperature you need to address as a priority, going forwards in the next week or so you want some nutrients in there that aren't going to fry her delicate roots :sun:
My buddy ran a high dollar thermometer over and she's currently at 74 degrees Fahrenheit, and I installed the heater to keep it in that range. My girlfriend should be closing some accounts today so hopefully in a day or two I can have stuff for tea otw. Could you link the fertilizer one more time please? I looked for it earlier this week but I guess I just kept missing it. I'd like to get both :)

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
I'm not gonna feed her any of the stuff I have on hand I promise. No point in repeating that mistake all over again.

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
I also just realized that her fan has been on high since the repot, so she may have a little bit of wind burn contributing to how she looks.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
This is the one ;)
https://www.amazon.com/Down-Earth-6...506886765&sr=8-2&keywords=fish+blood+and+bone
Ingredients: Fish Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Rock Phosphate, Langbeinite, Greensand, Humates and Kelp Meal :sun:
91TyU8cq-dL._SL1500_.jpg

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Hopefully I can order it soon @Sunshine . I've been reading on 420magazine and thctalk and a few people have had similar problems as me, and I believe I may need to water a bit less, and I see people suggesting a tiny pinch of Epsom as these symptoms are indicative of slight calmag issues in early development.

Uncle_Al

Seasoned Grower
Aug 31, 2017
That pH you are posting is an issue in itself need to get that down to the 5.5- 6 range, you are headed for nutrient lockout don't go crazy on the soil adjust the water pH to 5.5 feed it that until it runs out the bottom of container, then check pH of the runoff water, I strongly recommend at home soil testing. There are inexpensive test kits at the big box stores in the garden center.

Uncle_Al

Seasoned Grower
Aug 31, 2017
Peat based potting soil can have pH issues just be calm. Don't do anything rash. They have been known to eat up lower leaves right after a transplant, when feeding early go lightly if the packaging says use 3 tablespoons per gallon only use one teaspoon per gallon after a couple light feeds you can increase dose NEVER use more than recommended

Uncle_Al

Seasoned Grower
Aug 31, 2017
Personally I do not use any potting soil that has any added nutrients I mix my own soil from equal parts peat moss and top soil with one full bag of perlite, recently I have been adding one quarter bag of mushroom compost not for composted nutrients which it has some but for the additional biological activity the mix gets a soil test for pH and NPK then I adjust pH using water adjusted to correct. I do not wish to seem contradictory to Sunshine's advise the soil he recommends is relatively low in nutes compared to many other brands and will be less likely to burn your plants

Uncle_Al

Seasoned Grower
Aug 31, 2017
When choosing materials at the garden center look for a bag that has a leak or tear, inspect that the soil has a minimum of tree bark, has no ground up plywood bits, is low in clay soil, has dark rich actual soil, avoid mulches they are full of shit that is useless to your purpose I have been slow to adopt mushroom compost . Read the labels look out for rooty bits and small branches many brands are really ground up municipal waste. Avoid product from Georgia as there will be an excess of pine and pine bark.

Uncle_Al

Seasoned Grower
Aug 31, 2017
If you enlarge the photo enough you will see that the topsoil is in fact from Georgia but I have inspected a few bags of this product and it is low in all the garbage I warn you of the two bags of topsoil two bags of perlite and the big honking bag of peat cost less than 24.00 I think the mushroom compost was about another 6 or 7 bucks so for about thirty dollars that will produce about 45 gallons of soil mix, when I adjust the pH I add water until the mess stays in a kind of sticky ball that stays together when compressed by hand then after a couple days covered in a plastic toter I open up stir it around and let a little water dry off. This mix of soil can be seen in use in all my posted grow pics

Last edited:

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
That pH you are posting is an issue in itself need to get that down to the 5.5- 6 range, you are headed for nutrient lockout don't go crazy on the soil adjust the water pH to 5.5 feed it that until it runs out the bottom of container, then check pH of the runoff water, I strongly recommend at home soil testing. There are inexpensive test kits at the big box stores in the garden center.
@Uncle_Al thats alot of info, thanks for taking the time to type this all out! At the moment im doing my best to use plain tap water and not abuse any potential microbials living in the soil with Ph down :) I have been using black gold brand sphangum peat moss with all the twigs picked out, along with tons of perlite and some vermiculite. She hasn't been fed in a couple weeks because she's been unhealthy up until she was transplanted, and now she's recovering. I also don't have any ferts that are very appropriate to feed. My bone meal and blood meal makes the soil acidic, so I will be ordering the down to earth fertilizer on Wednesday or Thursday. I do want to balance the Ph but I don't want her to have to go through any more fluctuation until I can give her a compost tea or something. I'm trying to be extremely careful with her.

Back