Question Thoughts on HiGrade analyzing scope

Hannahuff

Oct 19, 2020

Anybody seen these? Thoughts? Appears it currently doesn't work on higher % CBD strains yet, so obviously not for everybody but price is right and only $80/yr after the first year of service. Seems like it would be a lot simpler at home than the old chemical/streak methods...

Ras Mountain

Jul 9, 2020
No way - though I'm sure it's a good scope, I have doubts about the app. I could predict their algorithms would easily contain inaccuracies. What if I have some Afghan-looking nugs but it's actually an undocumented cross with Thai? 🤔

I think having a microscope and using all of your senses is a great idea for estimating potency, but if you want numbers, a lab is probably the best if not only way of obtaining those.

Speaking of microscopy, it may be time to get into this myself! I'm looking at this one right now.

Last edited:

Hannahuff

Oct 19, 2020
No way - though I'm sure it's a good scope, I have doubts about the app. I could predict their algorithms would easily contain inaccuracies. What if I have some Afghan-looking nugs but it's actually an undocumented cross with Thai? 🤔

I think having a microscope and using all of your senses is a great idea for estimating potency, but if you want numbers, a lab is probably the best if not only way of obtaining those.

Speaking of microscopy, it may be time to get into this myself! I'm looking at this one right now.

It doesn't analyze strain type. That is all user input data. It only analyzes the tricomes across 3 pics (at a time) utilizing some sort of algorithm and predicts thc content (supposedly) within 2%...

Hannahuff

Oct 19, 2020
I've been looking at alternative, newer, techniques for measuring thc content. I feel like it would be an asset as a caregiver to be able to provide that kind of data. I however don't have the $3k-5k to drop on commercial grade analyzing machines.

I am familiar with (as I have been around it but not participated) the old chemical techniques where you measure the streaks.

I'm on the fence with this particular set-up mainly because, even if it works well, it still cannot measure concentrates...

Dark-Green

Oct 22, 2020
@Hannahuff I’m looking to buy a CannaDx tester. Cost about $1k and you have to buy inserts for testing that come out to be about $1.25/ea. It uses spectrum analysis to measure Cannabinoid content as well as terpenes in vapor. It’s pretty sweet, but It will still be sometime before I can squeeze it into my budget. It only measures flower though as far as I know. Concentrates use some sort of chemical spectroscopy, that’s lab grade equipment. I saw a portable lab for like $13K, but that’s out of reach for most small scale growers.

Here’s a link if you are interested:

I’m still doing research on the CannaDX, and a few others, but it’s significantly cheaper that the others I’ve been looking at. I’m not a 100% sure on which one I am going to get. I thought that maybe this would be helpful to you or others.

Ras Mountain

Jul 9, 2020
Trichome art

Attachments

• Image_2021-01-12 07_55_27_257.JPG
    Image_2021-01-12 07_55_27_257.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Image_2021-01-12 07_53_22_186.JPG
    Image_2021-01-12 07_53_22_186.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Image_2021-01-12 08_21_02_365.JPG
    Image_2021-01-12 08_21_02_365.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 14

Mscollege

Jan 31, 2021

The dope scope is a must have!