Tonight's casualties

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Just checked and she's looking worse today :( discoloration even on new leaves and top ones. I will try to find perlite today..
Sorry to hear that @FerretWrangler definitely time for an emergency repot, try to remove as much of the old soil from the roots as possible, possibly run them under a hose on low.
Go heavy on the perlite (30-40%) and use new completely fresh compost (nothing added), if you take urgent action she will come back to health :)
You can also use this opportunity to use a much larger soil container with as @JaxxMunster said, plenty of drainage holes :sun:

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Sorry to hear that @FerretWrangler definitely time for an emergency repot, try to remove as much of the old soil from the roots as possible, possibly run them under a hose on low.
Go heavy on the perlite (30-40%) and use new completely fresh compost (nothing added), if you take urgent action she will come back to health :)
You can also use this opportunity to use a much larger soil container with as @JaxxMunster said, plenty of drainage holes :sun:
@Sunshine I will get all of it off, and bathe her roots of i have to. If I can get perlite I will load her up. Can I add like to counteract the peat moss? Also, how do I fix the soil's Ph before moving her into it? I don't wanna just put her back into acidity.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
The only thing you need to add to the peat based compost is a whole lot of perlite ;)
You don't need to fix the ph of the soil, it will be fine with plenty of perlite and as your water source will probably be above 7ph that will balance it out.
Adding a small amount of dolomite lime is recommended as this pushes things back to neutral ph, don't over do this or you will always be at 7 or low 7s which will not be helpful in reviving her.
If you can get hold of Mycorrhizae then this will make your life a lot easier :)
Adding ph down and other chemicals kills your microherd and the ability of the soil to buffer the ph naturally :sun:

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
@Sunshine I got the perlite and a ten gallon fabric smart pot, no mychorrizae though. Any tips before I attempt this?

Last edited:

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
The new soil mix looks 100% better, well done @FerretWrangler now just water her in and let her grow into it and in a week or two she'll be back on track :)
It looks like some of her leaves dried up a little over night, I'm still not wholly convinced that the Ph is just right. Or maybe she's a little shocked from the transplant?

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
I'd definitely go with transplant shock, hopefully by this time next week she'll be peachy :)
Ok good, some leaves are curling up and some are drooping right now, but I'm sure you are right. She sustained a little root damage from the transplant, I wouldn't say she was root bound but some roots were holding onto the holes in the bucket.

Back