Why use Green Manure / Living Mulch in your Organic Garden

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Everything you wanted to know about ‘green manures’....

What are they?

Green manures are plants which are grown to benefit the soil. They can
  • improve the soil fertility, including adding valuable nitrogen
  • improve the soil structure, giving better drainage or water retention
  • suppress weeds (outdoor)
  • attract beneficial insects and other predators (outdoor)
How?
They are quick growing, so the process is simple. You sow, they grow - and then you dig them in. In just a few weeks their green foliage returns the nutrients to the soil.

Soil fertility – Clover and vetch absorb nitrogen from the air and fix it in nodules on their roots. Once the green plant is mature, by digging it back into the soil all the nutrients are returned as the plant decomposes. This process also feeds the millions of small microcosms in the soil, stimulating them into creating a healthy rich growing medium.

Improved soil structure – whether your soil is heavy and clay-like, or light and sandy, green manures can help rectify any problems. The extensive, and sometimes deeply penetrating, root system of green manures will open up heavy soils, allowing better drainage. In light soils, these roots remain closely bound to the soil particles and act as a sponge. They hold onto moisture and nutrients, and prevent them from being washed out.

Retains Moisture:
Just like normal mulches, the clover will retain moisture in the soil by absorbing all of the sun before it hits the soil, helping you maintain a healthy spongey soil; rather than a dried out top few inches and a soggy bottom, you will get much more even moisture levels throughout the soil.

more info https://www.greenmanure.co.uk/pages/what-is-green-manure

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Unfortunately I've misplaced my micro clover seeds not suprising as everything is a bit topsy turvy at the moment. Perhaps they are hiding with my timers :rolleyes:
I'm not panicing though as they cost $1 for 1000s and I've just reordered (which means I'll find the other pack which still has 80% left) :poop:
Should be here by the weekend :party:
s-l500.jpg

"A blend of short and tall varieties which can be cut back and spreads by a network of creeping stems close to the surface which fix the beneficial nitrogen. "

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
Unfortunately I've misplaced my micro clover seeds not suprising as everything is a bit topsy turvy at the moment. Perhaps they are hiding with my timers :rolleyes:
I'm not panicing though as they cost $1 for 1000s and I've just reordered (which means I'll find the other pack which still has 80% left) :poop:
Should be here by the weekend :party:
s-l500.jpg

"A blend of short and tall varieties which can be cut back and spreads by a network of creeping stems close to the surface which fix the beneficial nitrogen. "
I have seen this alluded to but never fully explained. Once I've got a crop under my belt and another under way I believe I'll give this a go!

FerretWrangler

Every day I'm Wrangling
Aug 11, 2017
20171024_231935.jpg I must've missed a seed in the trim leaf mulch, I was displacing the top two inches of soil on the slh yesterday night so I could pour a light fertilizer water directly into the roots, and this little bugger stuck to my hand fast. It was all yellow and white but I figured hey, why not? This pic was taken around 12 hours after tossing it in a cup. I can't believe how much more green it is!
It had literally spent it's its entire life under soil. Glad I accidentally rescued it :)

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
It's on the list, will pop them as soon as the last few males have been weeded out! :cool:
procrastinators-unite-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Back