Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by Sunshine, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Sunshine

Sunshine Well-Known Member

6 Good Reasons to Use Compost Tea
    http://www.homecompostingmadeeasy.com/composttea.html

1. Increases plant growth
      It is chock full of nutrients and minerals that give greener leaves, bigger and brighter blooms, and increased size and yield of vegetables.
      [​IMG]

2. Provides nutrients to plants and soil
      The fast-acting nutrients are quickly absorbed by plants through their leaves or the soil. When used as a foliar spray plant surfaces are occupied by beneficial microbes, leaving no room for pathogens to infect the plant. The plant will suffer little or no blight, mold, fungus or wilt.

3. Provides beneficial organisms
      The live microbes enhance the soil and the immune system of plants. Growth of beneficial soil bacteria results in healthier, more stress-tolerant plants. The tea's chelated micronutrients are easy for plants to absorb.
      [​IMG]

4. Helps to suppress diseases
      A healthy balance is created between soil and plant, increasing the ability to ward off pests, diseases, fungus and the like. Its microbial functions include: competes with disease causing microbes; degrades toxic pesticides and other chemicals; produces plant growth hormones; mineralizes a plant's available nutrients; fixes nitrogen in the plant for optimal use.

5. Replaces toxic garden chemicals
      Perhaps the greatest benefit is that compost tea rids your garden of poisons that harm insects, wildlife, plants, soil and humans. It replaces chemical-based fertilizers, pesticides and fungicides. And, it will never burn a plant's leaves or roots. Finally, you save money.

6. Makes you a "Green Planetary Citizen"
      Compost tea is just another way to feel good about respecting the earth in your own yard and garden. It allows you to be less a consumer of harmful products and more a resourceful gardener.

2. Sunshine

I make a simple tea fairly early on in most grows and usually one mid flowering to help things along.
    It's easy, cheap, natural and the plants absolutely love it :)

Ingredients:
    Unsulphered Molasses - Cheap
    Fresh compost from your compost heap (or someone elses) - FREE
    Water (if using tap bubble the water for a few hours before using)

Equipment:
    Large bucket/container
    Aquarium pump
    Aquarium Heater (I set mine at 27c)

That's about as complicated as I like to make it. It's quite similar to making a yeast starter for brewing, we take the fresh compost which is full of nutrients, bacteria, fungi, nematodes and protozoans and providing ideal conditions to multiply these beneficial organisms.

So first up we have our water that's been bubbling for a few hours and to that we add the molasses, about a qtr or third of a jar will be fine for the amount I'm making today
    Molasses added
    Next we take about 4 cups of the compost and add to the brew

Now it's a question of waiting 24 hours for the process to complete:sun:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    420boss and FerretWrangler like this.
  3. FerretWrangler

FerretWrangler Well-Known Member

After the fertilizer mix you recommended this is next on my list. My girl is going absolutely crazy right now, she's already back to where she was shoot/top wise, all she's lacking are some new fan leaves. Sorry to be off topic (I will come back here and post when I finally make my own tea :] ) but I had a question. @Sunshine how much should I dry her out between watering? The new pot dries out so well ;) the bottom is 7/10 wet, and about an inch higher it's 4/10. Her roots are probably in mixed moisture zones but I think the bulk of her feet are in the 3-5 dryness area right now.

Sunshine likes this.
  4. Sunshine

Glad to hear she's thriving again! It's probably about time to give her some water by the sounds @FerretWrangler :)
    Also if you're running her 24/7 give her a few hours off in the afternoons (20/4) to help her get her strength and grow her roots back ;)

FerretWrangler likes this.
  5. FerretWrangler

Thanks! I've been doing 20/4 with her :)

Sunshine likes this.
  6. FerretWrangler

I appreciate the speedy reply, I'm about to go stain decks all day and I'm glad I gave her a drink before I left. I don't want to over water her though ;)

Sunshine likes this.
  7. BudMonster

BudMonster Active Member

definitely gonna try this one day

FerretWrangler and Sunshine like this.
  8. Sunshine

24hrs and a little bit later this is what it looks like :cool:
    The beauty of the tea is you can't over do it, it's not too hot for seedlings and it's like a probiotic for your soil :)
    I'll add this to the little ones in the next hour or so giving them a really good soak until I just start to see run off :sun:

9. FerretWrangler

My work mate has access to a compost pile that he swears is 30 years old and still in use and kicking :) I can't wait to get stuff to make a batch!

Sunshine likes this.
  10. Sunshine

Sounds excellent! That should make a great tea :)

11. 420boss

420boss Member

tea is one of the best og feeds you can do they love it like i like a beer :cool:

FerretWrangler and Sunshine like this.
  12. Sunshine

Amen to that :grinning:

13. FerretWrangler

14. Sunshine

Yes, it will most certainly work :)
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2077866/using-dried-molasses-in-the-garden
    I prefer the liquid as it's easy to store (kitchen cupboard) doesn't take up space and they sell it locally. I'm trying my best to be a minimalist grower these days. That's just my personal preference though. The dried does work out a fair bit cheaper and will work in exactly the same way ;)

This is powdered and cheap @ 10lb for $25.25
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTY6PBV?psc=1

This is organic and liquid form, probably the one I'd go for. It would last for about 4 teas which if you do 1 tea per run would last about a year :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Molasses-Bla...&keywords=unsulfured+blackstrap+molasses&th=1
    Slightly cheaper if you buy 2 at the same time :idea:
    https://www.amazon.com/Plantation-O...&sr=8-5&keywords=organic+black+strap+molasses

15. FerretWrangler

Thanks, I shall weigh my options ;)

Sunshine likes this.
  16. FerretWrangler

@Sunshine could you link what kind of heater and pump you use? :idea:

17. Sunshine

18. FerretWrangler

Thanks again! :)

19. FerretWrangler

@Sunshine I've got the stuff, but since it's a 24 hour process and I assume it would be smart to use tea quickly I am going to wait. My soil is still pretty wet! @Uncle_Al and I have came up with a game plan for a new grow area I will start executing today, but that's a surprise :cool: Anywho, here's what I came up with!

Sunshine likes this.
  20. Sunshine