Welcome to FreeCannabis.com

Learn How To Grow Top Shelf Medical Cannabis At Home
Register Now Ask A Question

My only, lonely girl... Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by zipsmysticmom, Aug 14, 2017.

1. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

2017-08-14 12.18.09.jpg Six days old...under an LED, 18/6, she is in coco coir...learning as I go!! I lost another, I believe due to stretching, before I got the new light. This is my first attempt at a grow. 65% humidity, 78 degrees in her room. Sorry for the poor photo quality...I am a little concerned about her...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Hi @zipsmysticmom :)
    There is alot of contradictory information regarding coir online most of it quite confusing. Water everyday don't water everyday, water 3 times a day :confused:
    She needs to dry out as soon as possible as the roots look like they're struggling ;)
    Can you tell me if you've added anything, how frequently you watered, if you ph your water things like that. The more info the better assistance I can give you :)
    I would guess the problem is saturation at the root zone inhibiting uptake of oxygen and also a possible ph imbalance.
    If you are a newish grower I would recommend a good peat based potting compost mixed with 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite as a standard base mix.
    Hopefully we can turn this around for you :)

3. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

Oh, wow!! Very complicated, I see! Have not tested ph, but have ordered a tester. I use distilled water, lightly watering when soil is dry on top... Never saturated. Have put nothing in the soil... I also ordered calimagic, for when she gets a bit bigger.

4. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

Looks like a trip to Lowe's for soil! Any advice on moving her? Or leave her be?

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Tips on moving her would be to let the medium dry a little first if possible, if not possible roll it out onto some newspaper try not to damage the roots and repot it into some fresh compost mix with vermiculite and perlite :)
    The roots, despite the plants tiny appearance will go down quite deep so handle with care and you should be good ;)
    If you really want to treat her get some Mycorrhizal fungi and add some to the hole you plant her in in the new pot/medium :)

6. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

Thank you, @Sunshine!! She is in her new soil... Was surprisingly dry underneath, but I like the consistency of the new soil! And I gave her a treat!! :)

7. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Excellent :D
    Will you be growing organically? I definitely recommend it, the flavour and quality is exceptional and it's the easiest method by far ;)

8. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

Well, christ on a cracker!! :rolleyes: I am going to say yes? I mean, I have zero idea what you are talking about... I have some great horse manure compost when she is ready for it! :D

9. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Horse manure compost sounds fantastic, I used to collect horse manure to add to my worm farm - the castings were absolutely amazing :)
    Can't wait to see how she settles into her new home :D

10. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

Me, too!!! I am anticipating a little bitchiness for a couple of days... :eek:

Sunshine likes this.
  11. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

She'll be settled in by this time next week and growing at pace with any luck :)

zipsmysticmom likes this.
  12. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

My baby is not looking much better today, but no worse... Soil seemed very dry, so I did a light watering all around her. How often do I water?

Sunshine likes this.
  13. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

You need to let it dry out a bit between waterings ;)
    I'd recommend buying a cheap moisture meter, they're pretty cheap :)

14. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

Next on my list! I am so grateful for all of your guidance... If she makes it, her name will be Sunshine!! :)

FerretWrangler likes this.
  15. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

16. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

Well, @Sunshine, her second set of leaves are coming on... She still looks sad, but I have a tester in her. Soil says damp, borderline dry, ph is around 7.5...thoughts?

Sunshine and ThC like this.
  17. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Hey @zipsmysticmom :)
    Which tester did you go for? Got a link? They're so useful ;)
    I'd let her dry out a little bit more before you add water but that doesn't sound far off.
    PH is not ideal, really it shoud be around 6.5 in a soil grow but at the moment I wouldn't panic about this, the main thing is for her to recover and the roots to grow :)
    What's the ph of your water? Do you use tap or rain?
    When you next water test ph of your input water and then test the ph of the runoff and let us know ;)

18. zipsmysticmom

zipsmysticmom Member

19. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

FerretWrangler likes this.
  20. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

I forgot to mention how much I like the Northern Lights, it's such a great hybrid and for me the high is near perfect :D
    Potent but still functional and clear, and if you smoke enough :confused:
    I've tried the Oasis from DP which is NL#2 and have some NL seeds sent to me by fellow growers but alas these are now over 10 years old, doesn't time fly, so they may no longer be viable. They've been in the seed fridge though so there is a small hope :cool:
    Whose NL are you running, I forgot to ask :)