Welcome to FreeCannabis.com

Learn How To Grow Top Shelf Medical Cannabis At Home
Register Now

Pot size for indoor plants

Discussion in 'New Grower Questions & Plant Problems' started by rookie1, Nov 16, 2017.

1. rookie1

rookie1 Guest

How big of a pot should i use for indoor plants?

Sunshine likes this.
  2. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Hello rookie1 and welcome to FC :) Which medium are you going to be using ?

3. rookie1

rookie1 Guest

fox farm

4. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

That's a good start. I'd add some more perlite to the foxfarm for improved drainage (about 1 part perlite to 4 parts fox farm) ;)
    What light are you going to be using and what size is your grow area/tent/cabinet? :idea:

5. rookie1

rookie1 Guest

just one in a 2 in square for now grow space is 26 by 12 and got 2 t5 24in lights
    I have a 250 hps when they grow bigger

6. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

I'd go with a 5gallon pot, that way you'll have plenty of space to grow decent roots which will support a good yield :)
    Make sure you have plenty of holes at the bottom of your pot for drainage, add a decent amount of perlite to your fox farm and avoid over watering (get a cheap moisture probe/meter) and avoid over fertilising and you will have a great harvest! :sun:

7. rookie1

rookie1 Guest

ok thanks 5 gallon will be the next transplant. Plant is only 4 days old

8. Uncle_Al

Uncle_Al Seasoned Grower

Hey 5 gallon pot is way too big for a first transplant. That should be the last one. Something more like 2-3 liters is healthier, the plant will be happier 5 gallon will be too wet for too long

9. Uncle_Al

Uncle_Al Seasoned Grower

You better see what I'm doing in a 16oz. Cup take a look at my grow thread, and while you are at it look at my media pics and vote for one

10. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

I'm definitely on the other side of the fence on this one. I always start straight in the final container (with the exception of clones for practicality), this removes any physical limiting factors ie the walls of a smaller pot impeding the roots, it also eliminates any stress from repotting which I deem entirely unnecessary. For me it's seed to harvest in the final container, no tissues no repotting, as in nature.
    With regard to over watering, this is mitigated by simply watering with less, for example using a small cup instead of a bottle, when the plant is bigger volume of water increases in line with this, in addition using a generous amount of perlite to create a nice light airy mix makes over watering virtually impossible meaning the plants can concentrate on growing the largest root system in conjuction with the mycos from the very beginning, colonising the entire pot :sun:

11. Uncle_Al

Uncle_Al Seasoned Grower

Just a difference in styles I guess you will get no pissing contest from me

Sunshine likes this.
  12. Uncle_Al

Uncle_Al Seasoned Grower

But still, vote for my pics in the media gallery!

13. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

100% @Uncle_Al we're all on the same team trying to get the best bud we can for our personal stash!
    PS your cup girls are looking epic btw :)

Uncle_Al likes this.
  14. Uncle_Al

Uncle_Al Seasoned Grower

I thank you, thank you very much. ( My Elvis impersonation)

Sunshine likes this.