Welcome to FreeCannabis.com

Learn How To Grow Top Shelf Medical Cannabis At Home
Register Now Ask A Question

PSA FOR NEW GROWERS

Discussion in 'New Grower Questions & Plant Problems' started by FerretWrangler, Aug 15, 2017.

1. FerretWrangler

FerretWrangler Every day I'm Wrangling

If you happen to smoke cigarettes, like myself, ALWAYS be sure to wash your hands wrists arms or anything else that might touch a plant, because they can get tobacco mosaic virus and die.

So essentially, if you smoke a cigarette and then later you have clean hands etc but your clothes brush up against your girl, or you lean in for a smell and your nose touches her, she can become ill.

Always be mindful of what your cigarette smoke has touched! I won't even wipe my hands on my pants if I plan on touching her. (I change my shirt for cig/plant but not my pants)

Oh and don't smoke anything near your plants, not even other weed is super good because it has carbon monoxide in it. I hope I saved a girl today :D

@ThC I didn't know a better place to put this thread, I feel like it'll reach the people it should in this forum but feel free to move it if I'm messing up the flow.

2. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

@FerretWrangler The jury's out on this, I've yet to see a cannabis plant with TMV :)
    I always smoked around my girls and am aware of this affecting tomatoes for instance and have read articles about it affecting our favourite plant but have never experienced any issues first hand
    We're all learning together here so I'd love to hear other peoples experience of this. Interesting topic ;)

3. FerretWrangler

Good to hear other people weigh in, I'm still gonna be careful and wash up just in case. Before I owned my actual grow I helped my step dad with a few and we always smoked in the cellar with them. We'll never know how it was though, we went on a job in tazewell fixing a 17th century church up and we stayed in a hotel for a week, and when we came back my mum had smoked 75% of the stuff that was hanging and drying, even though we explained it was an absolute waste. She was actually mad at us because it have her headaches:confused: I never even got to try it because my step dad threw the rest away in a rage. They didn't get tmv either, but I certainly see lots of pros insisting it can happen.

4. FerretWrangler

And @Sunshine what sort of cigarettes did you smoke?

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Only ever smoked golden viringia ;)
    Wish I could give it up, my best is 3 years :/

6. FerretWrangler

Is that a box brand or do you roll your own?

7. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

Roll my own, I can't smoke and don't really like cigarettes anymore :)
    I'm trying to give up tbh but it's easier said than done :rolleyes:

8. FerretWrangler

Yeah it is, I've quit a few times before but I always start again.

9. Sunshine

Sunshine Organic Fanatic

I'm hearing that o_O

10. Purpljack

Purpljack Active Member

I've smoked around my plants. But not much. Knowing the dangers of 2nd hand smoke!. Thats why i smoke. Breathing someones 2nd hand smoke is dangerous

FerretWrangler likes this.
  11. Uncle_Al

Uncle_Al Seasoned Grower

I live in the tobacco belt, for a while I worked for a major cigarette manufacturer repairing machines that produce 3 million cigarettes + in an 8 hour shift, gone home stinking of tobacco. Never had a problem with tobacco mosaic virus. TMV does occur when you fail to clean your tobacco Cultivation tools and promptly work a different crop, tobacco smoke has no virus in it. Don't snuff butts in your grow pots. Purified nicotine from tobacco is used as an insecticide.i have never actually seen TMV in a weed grow room.i have seen a lot of grow rooms. It theoretically could happen just not likely.

12. FerretWrangler

I'm right in the tobacco belt too, and I'm actually on the other side of the fence now as opposed to when i wrote this. I pull my closet closed off and open the windows and smoke in my room now.