Sunshines Mixed Strain Grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Growing' started by Sunshine, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Sunshine

Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hey guys and girls finally got round to starting some new seeds :party::party::party: sadly many are labelled as 04 and older so chances on those are slim but some are more recent crosses or those that have been rerun more recently :rolleyes:
    What's been planted so far:
    FruitBowl x SuperSkunk (the super skunk used is sensi seeds f3 nice pop corn buds with very skunky aroma)
    FruitBowl x (TrainWreck x Silver Pearl) (TW from florida in 03 soaring sativa high that builds)
    Passion#1 x FruitBowl (delicious citrus/tropical fruit well balanced high) :yum
    Started the seeds in coco on Sunday night (everything else packed away at the moment so used what was to hand). I'll get them up and going in this medium for a few days then straight into ROLS with some new mycorrhizae in the planting hole when the grow is up again :) Under normal circumstances I'd start them in their final pots :cool:
    So far 36 hours or so since putting beans into medium and a handful of the Passion#1 x FruitBowl are popping up already. Early days on the rest keeping everything crossed as some of the seeds are very old. Any that doesn't show will be replaced with more of the same crosses where possible :sun:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. FerretWrangler

FerretWrangler Well-Known Member

@Sunshine bravo, and good luck! After this harvest I'm going to germ a few. Some of what you gave me and maybe I'll order a high yield strain from a seed bank.

Sunshine likes this.
  3. Sunshine

Thanks @FerretWrangler doesn't matter how many times you've done it, it's still exciting :D

FerretWrangler likes this.
  4. BudMonster

BudMonster Active Member

thats a sweet selection you got going on @Sunshine

Sunshine likes this.
  5. 420boss

420boss Member

good look sunshine going to rip a fat bowl :D for the new seeds

Sunshine likes this.
  6. Sunshine

Thanks for the kind words peeps :)
    10/10 of the Passion#1 x FruitBowl are up as of this morning, not bad at all considering they're already 5 years old seeds and I put them into the medium from the fridge Sunday night.
    No sign on any of the others yet which isn't ideal but is simply down to their age with some being 15 years old or there abouts :/
    I remain optimistic though and hope that given they're in pretty much ideal conditions some of the older stock will show in the next few days/week :sun:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. FerretWrangler

FerretWrangler Well-Known Member

Just know they want to, and if they can't then it wasn't meant to be so!

Sunshine likes this.
  8. Sunshine

The little seedlings temporary accomodation :)
    Banged it up yesterday as it was time to put into larger pots for the Passion#1 x FruitBowls so put everything into the larger containers and lined the walls with some old panda sheet I had knocking around. Lots of the older seeds had split and were showing small tails so should be interesting.

9. Sunshine

Couple more pics taken Saturday just after the hastily erected grow areas official opening ceremony (smoking a joint) :grinning:

JaxxMunster likes this.
  10. rodriguezsmith

rodriguezsmith New Member

Great set. Thanks for sharing the pictures

Sunshine and ThC like this.
  11. Sunshine

Thanks @rodriguezsmith Welcome to FC and I'm glad you like them :)
    Temporary cab sitting at 25c and holding give or take .5c over 24hours which isn't bad, would prefer it a point or two higher but it's not too cold which was my worry.
    It's now a question of sitting back and doing very little now for a couple of weeks while the roots establish and any stragglers pop up :cool:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  12. BudMonster

BudMonster Active Member

whats in the soil mix @Sunshine is it supersoil. your own mix ??

Sunshine likes this.
  13. Sunshine

Hey @BudMonster I'm reusing organic soil that was originally amended with perlite, vermiculite, fish blood and bone meal, calcified seaweed, dolomite lime, mycorrhyzae.
    I recharged it with a bit of fbb and let it sit for a few weeks and now using again, it's still a little bit hot but nothing they won't grow into :)
    I'll liven things up with a simple tea in the next couple of weeks to feed the micro herd and give them an early boost :idea:

Aerated Compost Tea (AACT or ACT)
    - The process of making AACT involves adding oxygen to the tea and a food source for the biology in the compost. By creating optimal conditions for aerobic microbes, AACT allows you to multiply the biology in the starting compost by over 10,000 times. Many plant pathogens are anaerobic and prefer low to no oxygen conditions. By making sure the tea and the compost itself are well oxygenated and highly aerobic, you can potentially eliminate 75 percent of the potential plant-disease-causing bacteria and plant-toxic products.

For the past 5 years, AACT has become the standard within the organic industry in regards to compost teas. It's currently being used by golf courses, vineyards, farmers, and homeowners as a means of growing healthier plants. Here's a list of some of the benefits:

Compost tea has been shown to help in disease-suppression (pythium, phytopthera, powdery mildew, fusarium, etc.) when applied as a foliar spray and soil drench.
    • Helps extend root systems
    • Increases water and nutrient retention
    • Is 100% safe and natural
    • Creates healthier plants
    • Helps breakdown of toxins in the soil and on the plants
    • Enhances the taste of fruits and vegetables
    • Reduces or eliminates the need for chemical pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers
    • Occupies the space around the infection sites so disease-causing organisms cannot penetrate into the tissues of the plant
    • Cannot be over-applied because it is completely natural and organic

These benefits are all attributed to well-made AACT. If the tea is not made properly, you will not see all of the benefits listed above. Let's take a closer look at what goes into making quality aerated compost tea.
    1. Good compost is very important! Without good biology in the compost, you really have no chance of getting high-quality tea. You can only multiply what you put into your brewer, therefore good compost that has been tested to have high numbers and a diversity of beneficial organisms is essential. A lot of science goes into making good compost, and unless you test your compost you really have no idea if what you are putting into your brewer is truly beneficial. By adjusting the type of compost you put in the brewer you can control whether your tea is going to be bacterial or fungal dominated. We use a mix of 3 different composts (Alaska humus, vermicompost, and a fungal compost comprised of woody materials) to increase the biological diversity in our teas.
    2. Food is critical for the microorganisms so that they can reproduce and grow in numbers. The goal is to maximize your output of beneficial biology without giving the bacteria and fungi too much food that they over-replicate and cause the tea to go anaerobic. It's important that dissolved oxygen levels stay above 6 mg/l during the entire brewing cycle. There are many different recipes out there, each of which will give you different biology in the end and some are much better than others. It is important to see the lab results of the recipe you use to make sure that you are indeed maximizing your final product.
    3. Oxygen! All living organisms need oxygen to survive, and your tea is no exception. If you're not getting enough oxygen in your brew, then your tea will go anaerobic and you will start brewing the "bad" organisms (pathogens such as e.coli or root feeding nematodes) that may have existed in your original compost. If your tea has enough oxygen and stays aerobic for the entire brew cycle, what you'll have at the end will be the good biology that you want for your plants.
    In addition to these variables, other things to consider are elevation, temperature, brewing time, and water quality. All of these variables can have a significant impact on your final tea. With significant elevation, you may need to increase the brewing time, due to the lower oxygen content in the air. With high temperatures, where the water temps are 90 degrees or above, you'll want to shorten the brewing cycle and possibly cut back on the foods you're using. In cold temps., you'll want to increase the brewing cycle to give the organisms time to reproduce. In regards to water quality, different sources will have different mineral or chemical content, which will affect your final tea. In the case of chlorine or chloramines, these chemicals will need to be removed prior to adding the compost to the brewer.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  14. Sunshine

Update pics taken yesterday of a couple of the Passion#1 x FruitBowls :)

15. BudMonster

BudMonster Active Member

16. Sunshine

A little update. Seeds were put into the dirt from the fridge Sep 3rd, some starting there 3rd set (pics taken yesterday) :)
    These found the start a little bit hot but have now snapped out of it and are starting to grow rapidly :sun:
    Letting them dry out for several days after their initial watering now so I can give them a soil nourishing tea soak at the end the week ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  17. JaxxMunster

JaxxMunster Member

looking good buddy

18. Sunshine

Thanks @JaxxMunster I'll let the roots search out the exiting moisture in the pots and stretch their little legs a little before I give them a good soaking with a fresh tea towards the end of the week :)

19. Sunshine

Remember this little one? This is the Fruit Bowl x Super Skunk that was finding it a little hot in the recharged soil 7 days ago (last Saturday late night) :)
    Here she is now :sun:

20. BudMonster

BudMonster Active Member