Update on her troubles.

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by FerretWrangler, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FerretWrangler

FerretWrangler Well-Known Member

Since I posted a nice happy thread I figured we could talk about some not so happy stuff.
    I guess I have a pest problem. Can anyone I.D.? I just saw this and I tried to catch and kill it but it fell off the leaf as I went to pinch it.
    Looks like it's been snacking.
    Also this is cropping up near the new growth :/ maybe fungus gnats messing up her roots?

EDIT: After reading and looking at a few websites this guy doesn't seem like a cannabis pest, he actually looks rather carnivorous. However, I do have a good few crispy leaves, with mottled yellows, browns, and oranges. Enough for it to be bothering me at least!

EDIT 2: Couldn't wait, kept reading deeper. I am almost positive it's a calcium and phosphorus deficiency. I wish her soil would dry out so I could fix it!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    BudMonster and Sunshine like this.
  2. Sunshine

Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hi there @FerretWrangler sorry to see the problem is persisting :)
    The best thing to do would be to let her dry out then flush her with 4x the volume of the pot with water at room temperature/tepid.
    So if your pot holds 15litres of soil then you need to flush with 60litres of liquid, ideally at a ph of 6.5 ;)
    The flush out acts like a factory reset and should restore your soil to a normal ph and flush out anything in the soil that may be causing any issues.
    I still think the addition of some fast acting lime to help stabilise your soil ph would be a good investment too :)

FerretWrangler likes this.
  3. FerretWrangler

This will be the second flush since I brought it in, and the Ph is at 7 right now, I just think it doesn't have enough nutrients. I did get some fast acting lime but I read somewhere that you shouldn't mix it with fertilizers so I haven't applied any. I'd really love to not have to flush it for like the fifth time in its life .-.
    @Sunshine since the soil is 8/10 wet and the Ph is actually 6.9 since the lights came on, couldn't I theoretically use a foliar spray to correct her nutrient deficiencies? She's only had 4 hours of darkness so she could suffer a couple more for a spray feed I think.

Sunshine likes this.
  4. FerretWrangler

What do you think ^^^ @Sunshine? I've heard to use a dab of non toxic soap with the bone and blood meal and epsom with water.

Sunshine likes this.
  5. Sunshine

Foliar spray wouldn't be a bad idea and definitely won't hurt her :)
    If I ever have a problem like this, I do two things the first is flush with 3-5 times the pots volume with water (depending on how far outside of ideal they are) then either do one more flush of the pots volume with 1/4 strength ferts or top dress (for powdered) and water until run off is at 10% ;) This is done once only.
    What I'm trying to do is get rid of anything causing my ph to be off by flushing then adding back fresh food for the growing plant. I think of this as a factory reset, you are wiping the slate and restarting in more ideal circumstances.
    I'm not 100% sure I trust the ph meter you have tbh, I would recommend the yellow chinese ones as these are easily calibrated and pretty accurate (my friend has a blue lab and he's had more problems with that and those are 10x the price).
    Also I would be testing the run off from the pot post watering to get an idea of what's going on in your mix :)
    It's all a learning curve but ultimately keeping it simple is key ;)

6. FerretWrangler

I have the exact yellow Chinese one you're thinking of think. I have a soil Ph monitor as well, I don't just go off one, and like I said she's super wet still after being water a week ago. I'm really thinking she's just hungry and there's nothing causing a ph or soil/root problem apart from her being soaked for days, because i haven't given her much of anything.
    After last water her runoff was around 6 and the soil meter read 7.
    When I watered and fed I gave her ph'd water first until I saw runoff, and then I gave her dry nutes on top of the soil and watered her again to get it down to root level, which made the Ph go bonkers, dropping it to 4.3 in runoff and 3.1 on the soil tester, so I basically had to flush her with 7.0 water until her Ph came back, and it was a ton of water. I just can't bring myself to wet the soil anymore, for fear of starving her roots of oxygen more than how they are now.
    I know you're probably right, but I know what I've done with her for days and I just want to treat another flush as a last resort. She's had so many already.

Sunshine likes this.
  7. Sunshine

The cause/exacerbation of the issue is in the above text. Add less do less.
    I suspect the initial problem was caused by guano, the second problem by the additions outlined above.
    You'll be suprised how little I do of anything during an entire cycle, they don't need much of anything really as long as you have a healthy living soil (Mycorrhizae) :)
    In a good soil with a decent FBB mix that is premade (like the one I linked you) which has kelp etc mixed in, it's already tried and tested and as long as you only add it in small amounts you can't go too far wrong ;)
    But your new growth looks great from the pics so you're definitely doing something right, just hold off adding anything for a few weeks, let her dry out to 3 on the moisture meter between next two waterings and you'll be golden my friend :)

8. FerretWrangler

Thanks for taking the time to help me with my problems @Sunshine . Sorry I've been busy.

Sunshine likes this.