Organic Persistent broad leaf herbicides end up in your organic compost via contaminated horse manure.

Sideways Onion

Feb 5, 2024
Problem.
Persistent broad leaf herbicides are compounds that have been formulated by manufacturers too resist biological degradation (take years to break down even after passing through a horse or cows digestive system), a few examples are Aminopyralid, Clopyralid and Picloram. They are used in pastures and on grain crops, to keep broad leaf weeds out. I have now read about Persistent broad leaf herbicides and the damage it has done to organic vegetable gardens. There are many videos and articles about this, and the main instruction is know your source, but that is not always possible.

Link with a great explanation
This link is a very good explanation of the story and my serious concern. https://www.the-compost-gardener.com/picloram.html

My story
Unfortunately before I knew about this herbicide I added a load of horse manure from a local horse rescue organisation to my compost. I asked and they do not use anything like this on their pastures, but are unsure if the farmers of their grain crops they purchase in do, as they get it from an agri co-op. I have now removed all the horse manure (Luckily it was the top layer) from my compost, but obviously some remains. I know how to do a bioassay test to test for this, but I am still seriously concerned and do not want to waste my lovely organic compost I have taken a year or more to build. That said I will now never again bring anything onto my land, even store bought compost and manures can have traces of this herbicide in it.

My apologies for this next para but I need to get it out......... Im so fucking angry with these chemical manufacturers, and how they are fucking up this planet for monetary gain. Why is this not more publicised. Yes I know its for monetary gain by these chemical assholes but where is the regulation and traceability?

Question
If these persistent herbicides unknowingly make their way into your organic compost, can they affect the growth of your cannabis in any way if you use that compost on your following seasons cannabis grow?

if these herbicides are present in so called organic composts or manures will they affect my cannabis grow in any way, as I already know they affect broad leaf vegetable grows. I claim I am a 100% organic grower but bring untraceable compost or manures in, then my question is how organic am I?

Here articles published by the US composting council and one from the National Pesticide Information centre. https://old.compostingcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/USCC-PH-Fact-Sheet-2-for-web.pdf
Can I use compost contaminated with clopyralid or other herbicides?

I need to get into my happy green space to calm down, thanks in advance for any thoughts on my question.

Hoping you have a Wonderfull weekend all.

Regards

Sideways

Back