Indoor - 4th grow ever~The Continuing Saga....

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Lesson learned and a tip for ya all. I had to turn off the red and back off the lights. Lots of light is great but to much of a good thing can have some severe negative effects. I moved my plants to the manufacturers recommended 15 inches for flower in an attempt to get all I can from my new light. Just raising plants 2 inches made a big difference and caused significant light stress. I thought I was dealing with nute lockout due to some yellowing leaves. Turns out it was light stress. I'm trying to look at the silver lining in this grey cloud of learning experience. On the bright side, (no pun intended), I understand some light stress / sunburn can cause an increase in trichome production to protect the plant. If you look at the photos, you'll see some taco leaves with yellowing and especially the NL xAK47 shows some fox tailing starting and the top hairs are bright white and bleaching out still growing wild when they should be turning and maturing instead. My 2x2 tent I also went overboard with my other new light. Going from a T5 seedling light to a full spectrum LED also gave my seedlings an overdose of light. Fortunately, I was able to figure out the issues before it was to late. Everything is recovering and the Chlorophyll is returning and greening up again. Whew! I was freaking out trying to figure out where I had gone wrong. Just a learning curve with the new lights. I also read up that too much Red can be bad also so I turned off the additional bloom booster lights.
I hope this is an experience we can all benefit from by sharing. I know I'll be a lot more conscientious and conservative on the light distances.
Now for the tip which many seasoned growers already know. I find this very useful when starting seedlings in solo cups. Use a clear solo cup inside a colored cup.. You can protect the roots from light and easily monitor the moisture content and root development by lifting the clear cup for viewing. This works great for keeping the optimal moisture conditions for your seedlings and monitoring. See photos:
Also, I'm throwing in a pic of the #1 Sour Diesel lower branches I pollinated with the #1 Thai. Looks like the seeds are coming along nicely and should be some good shit.
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG

Last edited:

FloralJem

Mar 19, 2021
What a peacefull atmosphere with great set up! Congrats on this tidy cabin with beautiful girls.
They still look great despite the stress, hope you dont get hermies because of that unlucky period.
Transparent cup in a coloured one is a great idea, I will try that next timeđź‘Ť

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
Lesson learned and a tip for ya all. I had to turn off the red and back off the lights. Lots of light is great but to much of a good thing can have some severe negative effects. I moved my plants to the manufacturers recommended 15 inches for flower in an attempt to get all I can from my new light. Just raising plants 2 inches made a big difference and caused significant light stress. I thought I was dealing with nute lockout due to some yellowing leaves. Turns out it was light stress. I'm trying to look at the silver lining in this grey cloud of learning experience. On the bright side, (no pun intended), I understand some light stress / sunburn can cause an increase in trichome production to protect the plant. If you look at the photos, you'll see some taco leaves with yellowing and especially the NL xAK47 shows some fox tailing starting and the top hairs are bright white and bleaching out still growing wild when they should be turning and maturing instead. My 2x2 tent I also went overboard with my other new light. Going from a T5 seedling light to a full spectrum LED also gave my seedlings an overdose of light. Fortunately, I was able to figure out the issues before it was to late. Everything is recovering and the Chlorophyll is returning and greening up again. Whew! I was freaking out trying to figure out where I had gone wrong. Just a learning curve with the new lights. I also read up that too much Red can be bad also so I turned off the additional bloom booster lights.
I hope this is an experience we can all benefit from by sharing. I know I'll be a lot more conscientious and conservative on the light distances.
Now for the tip which many seasoned growers already know. I find this very useful when starting seedlings in solo cups. Use a clear solo cup inside a colored cup.. You can protect the roots from light and easily monitor the moisture content and root development by lifting the clear cup for viewing. This works great for keeping the optimal moisture conditions for your seedlings and monitoring. See photos:
Also, I'm throwing in a pic of the #1 Sour Diesel lower branches I pollinated with the #1 Thai. Looks like the seeds are coming along nicely and should be some good shit. View attachment 15319 View attachment 15320 View attachment 15322 View attachment 15323 View attachment 15324 View attachment 15325 View attachment 15334
🤠Remember when seeding let the hulls turn brown before harvesting other wards if they are green they turn out white and only a small percent of white seeds grow and with my lights i always keep them 15 to 18 inches above the plant to keep from bleaching out. :mask:

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
🤠Remember when seeding let the hulls turn brown before harvesting other wards if they are green they turn out white and only a small percent of white seeds grow and with my lights i always keep them 15 to 18 inches above the plant to keep from bleaching out. :mask:
Thanks Alphatoy, I backed them all off to 24 inches and turned the dimmer down to 50% on the seedlings for now. 15 - 18 is apparently to close with this new light on full power. I've been struggling with some pale leaves for some time and didn't know why until now. The #2 Sour D and the Critical Amnesia seemed to be effected a lot more than the others all along.
They should bounce back ok since I hopefully caught it in time. The seedling roots are all thriving, just the vegetative growth has yellowed and stunted on some more than others. I do plan to fully mature the Sour Thai seeds and have you on my list of recipients when they are ready. I have a real nice green crack going right now I plan to pollinate with Fem Thai pollen pretty soon. Stay tuned....