Indoor - 4th grow ever~The Continuing Saga....

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Lesson learned and a tip for ya all. I had to turn off the red and back off the lights. Lots of light is great but to much of a good thing can have some severe negative effects. I moved my plants to the manufacturers recommended 15 inches for flower in an attempt to get all I can from my new light. Just raising plants 2 inches made a big difference and caused significant light stress. I thought I was dealing with nute lockout due to some yellowing leaves. Turns out it was light stress. I'm trying to look at the silver lining in this grey cloud of learning experience. On the bright side, (no pun intended), I understand some light stress / sunburn can cause an increase in trichome production to protect the plant. If you look at the photos, you'll see some taco leaves with yellowing and especially the NL xAK47 shows some fox tailing starting and the top hairs are bright white and bleaching out still growing wild when they should be turning and maturing instead. My 2x2 tent I also went overboard with my other new light. Going from a T5 seedling light to a full spectrum LED also gave my seedlings an overdose of light. Fortunately, I was able to figure out the issues before it was to late. Everything is recovering and the Chlorophyll is returning and greening up again. Whew! I was freaking out trying to figure out where I had gone wrong. Just a learning curve with the new lights. I also read up that too much Red can be bad also so I turned off the additional bloom booster lights.
I hope this is an experience we can all benefit from by sharing. I know I'll be a lot more conscientious and conservative on the light distances.
Now for the tip which many seasoned growers already know. I find this very useful when starting seedlings in solo cups. Use a clear solo cup inside a colored cup.. You can protect the roots from light and easily monitor the moisture content and root development by lifting the clear cup for viewing. This works great for keeping the optimal moisture conditions for your seedlings and monitoring. See photos:
Also, I'm throwing in a pic of the #1 Sour Diesel lower branches I pollinated with the #1 Thai. Looks like the seeds are coming along nicely and should be some good shit.
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG

Last edited:

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
Lesson learned and a tip for ya all. I had to turn off the red and back off the lights. Lots of light is great but to much of a good thing can have some severe negative effects. I moved my plants to the manufacturers recommended 15 inches for flower in an attempt to get all I can from my new light. Just raising plants 2 inches made a big difference and caused significant light stress. I thought I was dealing with nute lockout due to some yellowing leaves. Turns out it was light stress. I'm trying to look at the silver lining in this grey cloud of learning experience. On the bright side, (no pun intended), I understand some light stress / sunburn can cause an increase in trichome production to protect the plant. If you look at the photos, you'll see some taco leaves with yellowing and especially the NL xAK47 shows some fox tailing starting and the top hairs are bright white and bleaching out still growing wild when they should be turning and maturing instead. My 2x2 tent I also went overboard with my other new light. Going from a T5 seedling light to a full spectrum LED also gave my seedlings an overdose of light. Fortunately, I was able to figure out the issues before it was to late. Everything is recovering and the Chlorophyll is returning and greening up again. Whew! I was freaking out trying to figure out where I had gone wrong. Just a learning curve with the new lights. I also read up that too much Red can be bad also so I turned off the additional bloom booster lights.
I hope this is an experience we can all benefit from by sharing. I know I'll be a lot more conscientious and conservative on the light distances.
Now for the tip which many seasoned growers already know. I find this very useful when starting seedlings in solo cups. Use a clear solo cup inside a colored cup.. You can protect the roots from light and easily monitor the moisture content and root development by lifting the clear cup for viewing. This works great for keeping the optimal moisture conditions for your seedlings and monitoring. See photos:
Also, I'm throwing in a pic of the #1 Sour Diesel lower branches I pollinated with the #1 Thai. Looks like the seeds are coming along nicely and should be some good shit. View attachment 15319 View attachment 15320 View attachment 15322 View attachment 15323 View attachment 15324 View attachment 15325 View attachment 15334
🤠Remember when seeding let the hulls turn brown before harvesting other wards if they are green they turn out white and only a small percent of white seeds grow and with my lights i always keep them 15 to 18 inches above the plant to keep from bleaching out. :mask:

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
🤠Remember when seeding let the hulls turn brown before harvesting other wards if they are green they turn out white and only a small percent of white seeds grow and with my lights i always keep them 15 to 18 inches above the plant to keep from bleaching out. :mask:
Thanks Alphatoy, I backed them all off to 24 inches and turned the dimmer down to 50% on the seedlings for now. 15 - 18 is apparently to close with this new light on full power. I've been struggling with some pale leaves for some time and didn't know why until now. The #2 Sour D and the Critical Amnesia seemed to be effected a lot more than the others all along.
They should bounce back ok since I hopefully caught it in time. The seedling roots are all thriving, just the vegetative growth has yellowed and stunted on some more than others. I do plan to fully mature the Sour Thai seeds and have you on my list of recipients when they are ready. I have a real nice green crack going right now I plan to pollinate with Fem Thai pollen pretty soon. Stay tuned....

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Update time. I'm well into my second round for 2021. Last batch had a lot of males and I was messing with making the Sour Diesel x Thai seeds. Aside from the green crack x thai fems I'm breeding now and a couple autoflowers, I have a nice variety of Feminized going. The line up changed a bit but I think I have it dialed in for now. Here is my current line up of females in early flower.
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG

1. Gorilla Zkittles
2. Green Crack
3. Dutch Treat
4. Narnia
5. Somango
6. Critical Amnesina
7. Platinum OG x Sour Stomper
8. Super Lemon Haze
9. Train Wreck
10. White Widow x Bubble gum
11. Bruce Banner X Narkush (AKA 1Gas).

#7 in these first two photos are a Purple Punch that turned out being a male so he got replaced by a Female Platinum OG X Sour Stomper.
Auto flowers are 1- White Widow express on left and 2- West Coast OG x Cheese XXL center & right. I don't think they like the recent low temps and rain. I'm thinking about putting inside greenhouse until the weather improves again.
More recent photos coming soon. Oh yea, I was looking for the forum where some new growers were talking about topping and fimming and training. I decided to do one of each on a couple 1 gas to show the difference. The fim pic I think I want to nominate for FIM of the month lol!

Attachments

• IMG_1837[1].JPG
    IMG_1837[1].JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
🤠they all look like males to me my friend Just Kidding they all look great you will have to be burning weed 24/7 to use all that up ha ha after harvest time. :mask:
I'm hoping to take a break after my next harvest and then focus on breeding. I should have plenty of smoke for a while and a good variety to choose from. Problem is, I love growing this stuff and there are so many others I'm still yet eagerly waiting to try.

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
🤠boy that space is full they are looking great i am with you on growing i really like to grow and cross to see what comes out 🧙‍♂️

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
Almost one month later. The fall/harvest colors are starting to show. The next few weeks will be fun!

Attachments

• IMG_2020 (2).JPG
    IMG_2020 (2).JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2019 (2).JPG
    IMG_2019 (2).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2013 (2).JPG
    IMG_2013 (2).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2023 (2).JPG
    IMG_2023 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2025 (3).JPG
    IMG_2025 (3).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2024 (3).JPG
    IMG_2024 (3).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 7-19-21 (3).JPG
    7-19-21 (3).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
🤠Thanks a million Jason for the stamps and yes they will help me out a bunch but i never expected so many now i am going to have to find you some different seeds to send you from my stash figured i would use your thread since it has been since September that you last used it ( WHY) 🧙‍♂️

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
Had to stake up some of the Chunky ones. They were getting a little top heavy.
View attachment 17026
🤠Hey i see you are using the benders just a Question how many broke before you got the hang of it i snapped 3 right off Ha Ha had to tape them up they were OK until my Rat got them so far i lost 2 females and 1 male from the little varmint still got 10 plants running counting big plants and seedlings the Rainmaker is doing great it is same age as Frankenstein but twice as big 🧙‍♂️

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
🤠Thanks a million Jason for the stamps and yes they will help me out a bunch but i never expected so many now i am going to have to find you some different seeds to send you from my stash figured i would use your thread since it has been since September that you last used it ( WHY) 🧙‍♂️
Your so welcome. Considering the number and variety of seeds you have sent me, a few stamps is the least I can do to return the favor. I'm starting to get an impressive collection going.
I'm not sure what you mean by September since I last used my thread. Glad your on my thread and welcome all visitors and comments. I've not been posting a lot but definitely several posts here since September?? I have slacked off some on posting. I'm having to resize all my photos now to get them to load which is kinda of a pain in the ass. I also notice overdosing on photos can be overwhelming for the viewers. At least it is for me when I see shit loads of new photos on one post almost daily. I try to only share some of my favorites. Like these :)
IMG_2126 GZ.JPG
IMG_2124SoMango.JPG
IMG_2123SOMANGO.JPG
IMG_2091CritAmnesia.JPG
Trainwreck 7-27-21 (2).JPG
IMG_2126 GZ.JPG

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
🤠Hey i see you are using the benders just a Question how many broke before you got the hang of it i snapped 3 right off Ha Ha had to tape them up they were OK until my Rat got them so far i lost 2 females and 1 male from the little varmint still got 10 plants running counting big plants and seedlings the Rainmaker is doing great it is same age as Frankenstein but twice as big 🧙‍♂️
I haven't broke any yet. You mean the benders not the branches right? I did snap a branch off when I first started using them. I think my plants were too dry and not pliable enough at the time. I now only use them when plants are well watered and more flexible. I have one plant vegging right now that is filling up my whole veg. cab. It should have a very large number of Colas when I flower her eventually. I'll post up a pic for ya when I get a chance. Been thinking about doing one or two giant plant next run, just for the large yield and to try something different. I need to research what I have for the largest yielding strains.

Alphatoy

Humble Helper
Oct 7, 2018
🤠Did i ever send you any AP (Aloras Pop) here they grew 7 feet after topping they will grow large if not topped let me know i bred them clear back in 2018 if you look at my number 1 page on my thread you can see pictures of it had a hard time with lights on her only have an 8 foot ceiling and she grew a batch of buds also thank you for putting me on MOTM love that Frankenstein just this morning i put them in a 7 gal pot today i only have 2 plants in flower 2 just put on 12 x 12 and 5 vegging 2 of them are only 3 days popped surface i lost 3 good female and 1 male plants that were in the same tent they were about 3 1/2 months old and now gone with my Rat problem i wonder today did he get a buzz HA HA was he stoned when he went for a swim. 🧙‍♂️

Jason

Mar 16, 2019
🤠Did i ever send you any AP (Aloras Pop) here they grew 7 feet after topping they will grow large if not topped let me know i bred them clear back in 2018 if you look at my number 1 page on my thread you can see pictures of it had a hard time with lights on her only have an 8 foot ceiling and she grew a batch of buds also thank you for putting me on MOTM love that Frankenstein just this morning i put them in a 7 gal pot today i only have 2 plants in flower 2 just put on 12 x 12 and 5 vegging 2 of them are only 3 days popped surface i lost 3 good female and 1 male plants that were in the same tent they were about 3 1/2 months old and now gone with my Rat problem i wonder today did he get a buzz HA HA was he stoned when he went for a swim. 🧙‍♂️
Yes, I did try some of the AP a long time back. I had a hard time with germination and the one I did get to pop was a stunted male that got yanked. There is mention of it early in this thread. Unfortunately, I never did grow any out. This grow now, I'm focusing on variety and quality. The yield is nothing to brag about for sure but these are putting out some seriously dank nugs. Your advice of a longer veg. period before the switch should help a lot too. I vegged all these for 8 weeks though. Next time. Stay tuned.