Organic Sunshines Mixed Strain Grow 2.0 feat Top Dawg, Red Dragon, FruitWreck & Sweet Tooth #3

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
The mix you have isn't far off, it just needs vermiculite, some dolomite lime and a small amount of worm castings. If you took your first mix (too heavy) and mixed it with your second mix (too light) you'd probably be close to perfect.
Jacks Magic comes with seaweed/kelp and sand so you still have to add perlite and vermiculite, dolomite lime etc
so after the cost of loads of new biobizz soil i decided to do a quick skunk and ak47 crop then flip over to hydro.
If you're attempting organic + hydro it is possibly the single most difficult path of them all. PH will be swinging like a monkey at the zoo and you will be battling the dreaded root slime.
If it were me I'd keep your soil and remix with vermiculite (15%) and some castings (10%-15%) this would give you a very good mix. Also add some dolomite lime and mix in some FBB and use mycos.
At the moment your mix isn't bad but it isn't coming together/wicking well as it's too light.
If you re amend your mix you could do half in normal pots, half sip pots and see which works best for you.

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Definitely an interesting experiment. It's easy to get them going well in organic hydroponics but as soon as they start needing decent amounts of food for growth things tend to go a little left, I've tried several times with organic dwc, I only used 1 pot (20 liter) with a bubbler net pot and clay pebbles.
They start well then the slime, deficiencies and the ph inevitably start to crop up, to cut a long story short I couldn't make it work a friend also tried at the same time and their results mirrored mine.
It's not to say this can't be done but there are inherent problems using organic for hydro. Aquaponics is possibly/arguably the only viable way to pull this off.
In organic soil you have so much leeway that you simply don't have in hydro, keeping all the things the plant needs available at the correct ph is going to be a real skill.
I'd be thinking along the lines of weak compost tea in the res using worm castings (high amounts of beneficial microbes) and molasses and using mycos in the medium near the roots.
You could also maybe sit a smaller pot of soil in the wilma on pebbles then topped up with pebbles so you have at least some medium and the roots can grow in the ideal zone? Maybe try that on a couple of them?
Good luck, I hope you get it dialled with some custom tweaks and outside of the box thinking!

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
You should start a new thread for this, definitely something a lot of people will be interested in.
If you need a ph pen and ppm meter you're welcome to my old ones, they work fine just no longer needed.
It's worth researching the types of fish to use, I know guppies and normal gold fish work well ie produce waste that is good for the plants in useful quantities ??

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Update time ?
I noticed this evening that one of the panels has unfortunately died, unsure yet whether it's the driver, panel itself or the switch. I'll dig deeper tomorrow and see if it's anything obvious that can easily be replaced??
As a quick fix I've moved the working light over the FruitWreck and Top Dawg and the 1/2 working panel over the smaller plants ?

Last edited:

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Todays updates in no particular order ???

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
looking good. time to get a new unit ? Mars do a great 600W i have one in my flower cab and also 2 x 300W. They love the 600 lean over towards it etc with those dense bushes perhaps worth looking into . even a 900 maybe.
I'm fixing the existing unit, I hate throwing things away if there's still potential usage. If I can't easily fix it I'll upgrade it to cob led's using the existing case/heatsink/fan etc but it looks like it's probably just a broken driver which should be an easy fix (fingers crossed), the hardest thing will be sourcing the correct driver at a size that will fit in the casing but there are lots available so it's a question of sifting through. There's another thread on this ;)

Fruit wreck - cant wait to see what she yields. any chance of chucking another light in soon ?
I might see this run through with just the one light unit, it would be interesting to see what can be had from just the 1 light that draws approx 100w at the plug, I think I can get 4+ from it if left to the very end. Also there's less heat which is a bonus ?

any close ups of those two sinister looking sweet tooth no. 3 ?
Will take some in the next couple of days, I don't expect much from these this run but next run they will come into their own ??

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
The fruitwreck has stretched a bit and started to overshadow the top dawg and red dragon so I popped them all on stools etc to bring the height up to more or less even to give them a decent shot at flowering under the 1 light ??

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
I'm leaning towards taking those 2 seedlings out of the cab and building a temporary cab to veg them to a decent size as they're already getting overshadowed and the space is more useful for the fruitwreck this run.
Hopefully I'll have the time to knock something temporary up over the weekend :)

Sunshine

Organic Fanatic
Aug 7, 2017
Updates no particular order ?
I'll whip the two sweet tooths out tomorrow repot into smaller containers and veg for a month then put them back in ?

Back